Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got her running and the clutch goes!!! Are there any videos out there for a 750?? All i'v seen are for the 800 or 900. Really need the help.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
If it’s been sitting for that long i doubt the clutch just “went”. Most likely an issue with binding. Check the free play and you didn’t say whether it is stuck closed or open. If it’s not slipping it’s definitely a stuck clutch not a bad one. If it is slipping remove the clutch arm completely and see if it will grab.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The Vulcan 750 clutch will definitely stick if not used on a regular basis. I let mine sit for about 6 weeks once and like to never got the clutch broke loose. I put the bike on the centerstand, started the engine with it in neutral, pulled in the clutch, revved the engine, and just kept stepping on the rear brake. Killed the engine several times before it finally broke loose.

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 86 VN750 has 26,000 miles, and it's all original except tires, and the parts I am maintaining now (Blinkers, battery, brakes, etc). I will have to replace at some point, one day, but I think most of the bikes life has been pleasure, no real stop\go city driving. I do occasionally hear that "Walrus" noise when it's cold, but it goes right away once I leave driveway. When I do decide to replace, does the WHOLE side case of motor have to come off? I am doubting it, as on the 86 year at least, the left side has a round cover with 3 phillips head screws, that appears to be there just for this purpose. I used to change the clutches on my dirt bikes and ATV's as a teenager, but haven't done it on this Vulcan. Just wondering if anyone knew this off hand. Mike

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
My 86 VN750 has 26,000 miles, and it's all original except tires, and the parts I am maintaining now (Blinkers, battery, brakes, etc). I will have to replace at some point, one day, but I think most of the bikes life has been pleasure, no real stop\go city driving. I do occasionally hear that "Walrus" noise when it's cold, but it goes right away once I leave driveway. When I do decide to replace, does the WHOLE side case of motor have to come off? I am doubting it, as on the 86 year at least, the left side has a round cover with 3 phillips head screws, that appears to be there just for this purpose. I used to change the clutches on my dirt bikes and ATV's as a teenager, but haven't done it on this Vulcan. Just wondering if anyone knew this off hand. Mike
Yep, there's a round cover on the clutch side.

For the 'walrus' or coffee grinder noise, if you engage the clutch a few times before actually taking off the first time, it can help.

My clutch grabbed one time and put me on the ground. I learned.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
yuuup, there is a round cover on the RIGHT side that the clutch lives behind (left side is where pickup coils and stator live). more than 3 philips screws, and you may have to loosen/drop the exhaust pipe on right side to access one bolt, but other than that, you dont even have to drain the oil to do the job!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yep, there's a round cover on the clutch side.

For the 'walrus' or coffee grinder noise, if you engage the clutch a few times before actually taking off the first time, it can help.

My clutch grabbed one time and put me on the ground. I learned.
LOL, Thanks again, Spockster! I always hold the front brake when putting into gear. Doesn't mean it won't jerk, but I'm used to surprises, as the GF can't seem to just get on, and sit still. haha. Maybe I'll replace it this summer, but haven't even looked at the cable to see if there is any adjustment left. I will start there. As for now, I'm running it as it is! :smile2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
yuuup, there is a round cover on the RIGHT side that the clutch lives behind (left side is where pickup coils and stator live). more than 3 philips screws, and you may have to loosen/drop the exhaust pipe on right side to access one bolt, but other than that, you dont even have to drain the oil to do the job!
Thank You, michiganteddybear. I just found a Youtube video by Andrew Roth, doing a clutch on an 85 motor on a bench. A little hard to see, but looked super easy. Well within my capabilities. I'm not sure why I thought it was on the right side, but when I get home and put new AGM battery in, I'll take a glimpse. Now that I think of it, I know your right on that. On the left the wires go in for the stator. I'm in no rush, it's still going great. Hoping I don't have to mess with exhaust. It would be too easy to just remove the 7 bolts and take circular cover off....LOL This is a GREAT forum! :smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I'm pretty sure the exhaust sticks up in front of the cover, just enough to make you take it off.

Be careful separating the muffler and pipe. They have these soft greasy 'seals' made of unobtanium or gold or something.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts