Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so today i was taking the bike for a ride, and as i was slowing for a stop sign things felt funny and not right. So i pulled in the clutch in third gear and came to a stop, when i tried to pull away again, the clutch cable was way looser and hardly engaged the first gear. Anyway i just made it across the road and out of traffic. I checked things over and my clutch cable had over and inch of slack....
I reajusted the clutch cable as well as i could on the side of the road then headed home. It engaged and all, but was slipping a lot...
tonight i am going to check my oil to see if it is black and dirty, i really hoping my clutch isnt gone. the bike only has 7500 miles on it...
Is there anything else it could be? im sure maybe a improperly adjusted cable. But why might the cable suddenly slip over an inch out?
any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

·
R/R = Relocated *******
628 Posts
I don't think that the cable would suddenly stretch. You've got two (actually 3, but I'll get to that) places where you can adjust tension on it. On the bars and next to the left down tube (see pics). Also check where the cable connects at the case. The lever is on a spline connection, but if that loosened, it might have jumped a few teeth.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I don't think that the cable would suddenly stretch. You've got two (actually 3, but I'll get to that) places where you can adjust tension on it. On the bars and next to the left down tube (see pics). Also check where the cable connects at the case. The lever is on a spline connection, but if that loosened, it might have jumped a few teeth.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
X2 I would first check the adjuster on the down tube and make sure the cinch bolt is tight over the spline on the shifter rod.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
also, if the cable wasnt properly seated in the clamp near the lever shown in photo 3, it could have popped into place and caused major misadjustment. you can see the clamp at the very left edge of the picture

1 - 4 of 4 Posts