Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to overhaul my engine and this is what i saw when i was working on the clutch. Personally I dont think it's normal based on the raised indentation right in the middle of the plate. it is mirrored in the opposing part which is the clutch plate. you can clearly see this in pic 1.

Where do I go from here with respect to replacement parts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks flitecontrol, I suspect I needed to get a replacement. The wear on my clutch pressure plate does not seem normal. Now that I think about it, everytime I changed oil then started the car, the oil would get dirty right away as if is was mixed with sediments. When I took out the clutch cover, it was evident that all the sediments were coming from one of the plates as can be seen in one of the pictures and posted. I bought the bike @ 4,500 Miles and was surprised by this. I dont exactly know what happened. I'm just glad I took the engine off before major damaged was done. Luckily all parts are still to spec with the exception of the clutch.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That is very weird. I wonder what caused that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@roach

I know that when I bought the bike, i remember inspecting the oil and it was clear like a normal oil should look. But when I drove it home two days later that's when I experienced sluggish performance and noticed the oil to be almost grayish/black. I thought nothing of it so I changed the oil. Once I started the engine and the oil circulated it looked just as dirty as before I had changed it...weird. This was not the reason I had removed the engine but a a leaky coolant from the base of the front cylinder.

Come to think of it, when I disassembled the plates, it was very easy to remove. Very loose that I was able to unscrew the five bolts by hand, although with a bit of force. The inside of the clutch cover had so much debris with the consistency of very fine sand..I am surprised the engine components had no damaged! I with dirty oil for almost 5K, but changed every 1K.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The pressure plate looks fine. You don't have a picture of the hub to tell what that looks like. I recently replaced my clutch friction plates, but don't remember what they looked like. If all the plates have that groove in them, then it is normal. There is nothing conceivable that could cause the same wear on all the plates. What do the metal plates look like?

When you reinstall the plates, those or new ones, remember that the last plate goes in differently from the rest. Read the manual for an explanation. I would not have known that if not for the manual. If you use new plates, soak them in oil before installing them. If you replace the springs, use oem springs only. Aftermarket "performance" springs are stronger, and will cause all the rest of the clutch release components to wear out faster, plus make it harder to pull in the lever.

If you found foreign material in the engine, I would be VERY concerned about major internal damage. Just a few grains of sand in the crankcase can destroy an engine. Bearings, cam lobes, and cylinder walls have no tolerance for anything abrasive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@jerry, thank for the reply, the metal plates look fine. The friction plates also look OK to me although I have no bases of comparison but fro what I can tell they look fine. The only friction plate that has the groove in the middle is the last plate which is on the pressure plate. I knew about the last friction plate being installed offset but maybe the previous owner did not?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I was looking at the teeth on the pressure plate. Now in looking at it again, it appears like there may be a groove in it that matches the groove on the friction plate. Hard to tell from the picture. The pressure plate should still work, even if it has a groove in it, as long as the groove is not too wide, and significantly reduces contact area. If it does have a groove in it, I would say something got between the pressure plate and the friction disc, and cut that groove. Hard to say what it might have been. I have seen many disc brake rotors with groves in them, for no known reason, other than a piece of foreign material got in between the pad and rotor

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Ruk, What are the chances that the Clutch you are using is from an older bike? I was reading the manual last night on the clutch system when it talked about lining up the grooves on the disks to the ridge on the plate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@slimvulcan, Honestly I don't know too much of the history of the bike. I know that when I had bought it from the previous owner it was in pristine condition and garage kept. There was a bit of leak at the base of the front cylinder from the coolant but I was able to haggle down the price. The Bike ran good, had strong pull and seemed normal. One thing I observed when I took out the clutch basket, the bolts were loose and was easy to remove. Do you think this could cause the bike to run sluggish for that matter cause the abnormal wear on the last friction plate?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts