Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got finished doing a stator replacement on my 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, which of course required removing the bevel gear case to move the engine.
I haven't changed anything in the clutch cable adjustment wise, the clutch worked totally fine before. When I removed the bevel gear case, I didn't remove the lever on the pinch bolt on the case, I just disconnected the cable from the lever. However, now the clutch lever doesn't seem to do anything at all (not even a little bit). If I try using a wrench to manually pull the lever clockwise, still nothing different happens. The push rod inside the gear case never came out, I was very careful when removing and installing the gear case to make sure that nothing fell out or was damaged.
Anyone experienced something similar? Maybe a common mistake that could've been made? If I remove the bevel gear case again, is there something I can do to check and/or test that it's working properly?

This image shows the position of the lever with the clutch lever on the handlebar squeezed all the way. The manual says it should start to disengage after it goes past that mark on the gear case (which it has).

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Possible broken rack?

Is the lever at either end sloppy? Or is there some spring action?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible broken rack?

How would I check for a broken rack, which part is that?
The lever is hard to pull as you would expect, same way as it was before when it was working.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Spring action?

I'll see if I can find a picture of the rack. It's a rack and pinion setup inside the bevel case. The cable lever is attached to the pinion shaft, the rack moves the long clutch rod.

You might need to remove the round clutch cover to see if anything moves on that side, depends if there's any spring action.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possible broken rack?

I took a video, hopefully it's more clear. I'm pulling the lever at the shaft much farther than the cable normally allows, and still nothing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spring action?

I'll see if I can find a picture of the rack. It's a rack and pinion setup inside the bevel case. The cable lever is attached to the pinion shaft, the rack moves the long clutch rod.

You might need to remove the round clutch cover to see if anything moves on that side, depends if there's any spring action.
Hm, I wasn't aware of anything else other than the rod in the bevel gear case. I can check. A pic would be very helpful

·
Registered
8,340 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Couldn't see much in the video.

Is there some spring action or not?

That's the thread that goes with the pic, I haven't read it yet.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
There is a lot, it's difficult to turn that lever, so I had to use a wrench as leverage (couldn't do it by hand)
How about when you pull the hand lever? Spring action?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about when you pull the hand lever? Spring action?
Yes, everything feels the same as it did when it worked before.

The spring action is the actual clutch spring right, not some spring in the bevel gear housing? If so, then it must be pushing the rod.
I'm confused because I never touched the clutch cover on the right side of the bike, only removed the bevel gear case.
And I assume if I twist the lever / push the rod hard enough it would eventually stop pushing right?

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Think I see the problem.

The gap on the case lever is not aligned before you pull the hand lever. It needs to be aligned with the mark.

This is preventing full release.

Pull the case lever, align with the mark, then try it. Should work fine.

Might need to adjust the cable after aligning the lever.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
PS... Don't force the case lever to turn with a wrench, you can break the rack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think I see the problem.

The gap on the case lever is not aligned before you pull the hand lever. It needs to be aligned with the mark.

This is preventing full release.

Pull the case lever, align with the mark, then try it. Should work fine.
Sorry, try what after aligning with the mark?

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Sorry, I didn't give you enough info.

The shaft needs to be turned all the way in one direction before installing the lever in alignment. Check the manual download in my signature, I forget which direction the shaft needs turned.

Turning the shaft is critical for full release.

Edit...

I would guess the shaft needs to go fully clockwise before installing the lever. Toward release.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I didn't give you enough info.

The shaft needs to be turned all the way in one direction before installing the lever in alignment. Check the manual download in my signature, I forget which direction the shaft needs turned.

Turning the shaft is critical for full release.

Edit...

I would guess the shaft needs to go fully clockwise before installing the lever. Toward release.
I'll take a look at the manual. I never changed the position of the case lever on the shaft, and it was difficult to turn it far enough to attach the cable. Can't hurt to reset the position of it according to the manual though.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Finally checking the manual myself, and for future reference....

Clutch 5-7

With the inner cable tip inserted on the lever, and with the lever shaft turned fully clockwise, install the lever onto the shaft so that gap in the lever is aligned with the rib on the case.
Since your alignment is so far off you might need to adjust some slack into the cable.

After installation you'll need to adjust the freeplay on the cable. Top adjustment is for small adjustments, lower adjustment is for large adjustments. Try the top first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally checking the manual myself, and for future reference....

Clutch 5-7

With the inner cable tip inserted on the lever, and with the lever shaft turned fully clockwise, install the lever onto the shaft so that gap in the lever is aligned with the rib on the case.
Since your alignment is so far off you might need to adjust some slack into the cable.

After installation you'll need to adjust the freeplay on the cable. Top adjustment is for small adjustments, lower adjustment is for large adjustments. Try the top first.
I saw that in the manual. What's the "inner cable tip"? The clutch cable?

One thing I don't understand is that if rotating the lever on the case is pushing the push rod, then if I push it hard enough (regardless of the position of the lever or cable adjustment) then the clutch should release right?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts