Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long these last ? i have a tad over 14,000 on this one i just switch to an over sized rear conti tire . i do a lot of 2 up rideng ( previous was a stock 404 tire) it seems to slip more so when it gets hot ( after 30 miles ) and only if i get on it ( above 5k rpms ) :confused:

·
Registered
399 Posts
maybe You need to readjust you cable, due to the clutch wearing a little. Im not an expert on this, but our 86 has 18,800 miles and its clutch feels just like my 2001 at 13,000 miles.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should shoot myself in the foot for bypassing the obvious!

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
I rebuilt mine with a Kevlar kit at 6000 miles because it was slipping at high rpms under load. Two up riding here too...Went to pass a truck at 70-80 mph and it wasn't getting all the power to the wheel. Could actually hear it slipping.

New clutch and heavier springs cured it. Some folks might just be more "gentle" than me on the bike, but a new bike with a slipping clutch with those miles seemed off to me.

So, to answer your question, there's no telling how long your clutch will last. Most bikes I've owned I put in aftermarket clutches in at some point. To be fair, no problems yet with my FJR.... But I think they knew going in that a 145 hp motor required a stronger clutch.

"normally" your clutch should last at least 30,000 miles. But as they say, YMMV......

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just thought i would get some more out of it , then again i litterally ride the bike non stop it is now transportation to me :( the car and the truck just sit most the time

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
There's a thread somewhere on these forums where I read that especially if a bike has sat for awhile, to expect a lil slippage, and that sometimes removing the glaze on the disks solves the problem. My bike sat for 5 years, and like Knife, getting some slippage at higher rpms under load. Mine only has 20k miles on it, and I cant afford new disks yet, so will try de-glazing first. Springs feel real stiff at the lever too, so I think theyre ok.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My bike has about 40k on it.. Aside from needing an adjustment I don't feel any slipping at any speed.. But I guess I'll find out soon I want to change out my springs to cure the coffee grinder issue.. as I was shopping ebay I found a great deal on some new kawasaki friction plates tonight.. still need one more so make a set but haven't decided on the springs I want.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Mostly depends how you ride it. I ride solo, and mostly on the highway, and got close to 70,000 out of it. Stop and go riding, carrying more weight, or having a bigger than stock tires (more rolling resistance and mass) will all shorten the life of a clutch, as well as how you use it. If you slip it a lot taking off, it will wear down faster. The stock clutch lasted longer for me than I thought it would, and since I replaced it with EBC discs, I doubt I will ever have to replace it again.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Coffee Grinder

My bike has about 40k on it.. Aside from needing an adjustment I don't feel any slipping at any speed.. But I guess I'll find out soon I want to change out my springs to cure the coffee grinder issue.. as I was shopping ebay I found a great deal on some new kawasaki friction plates tonight.. still need one more so make a set but haven't decided on the springs I want.
There was a drawing provided by Momma Kaw that detailed drilling holes to solve the coffee grinder issue. If you pull theclutch be sure to do this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There was a drawing provided by Momma Kaw that detailed drilling holes to solve the coffee grinder issue. If you pull theclutch be sure to do this.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
If you let the engine warm up until the needle on the temp gauge reaches the second mark from the left before taking off, you won't have any problems with the clutch noise or grabbiness.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you let the engine warm up until the needle on the temp gauge reaches the second mark from the left before taking off, you won't have any problems with the clutch noise or grabbiness.
That may be fine for warmer climes like AZ and mid summer here in the NE, but my bike takes about 10 mins at idle to warm to that point, and it aint good to do that. Ron's in Jersey, so just a lil warmer there than here. Example: supposed to be 38 here tonight, mebbe 42 by 9am...I'll be damned if I'll let ANY bike idle for 10 mins in that weather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts