Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to make sure my bike is well warmed up before I start riding, but for some reason whenever I try to start it moving after being completely cooled down, the transmission makes a wurring sound and jerks forwards one or two times before moving. After riding for a little bit and the transmission gets warmed up the jerking goes away. Is this normal or is there something I should be looking into?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Search the forums for 'coffee grinder'. New clutch friction plates and springs fixed it for me.
It is 'normal' for this bike, as quoted, and known as 'The Coffee Grinder'. I've chosen to live with mine for now since it reportedly does not cause any physical damage to the bike (just the rider's nerves) and goes away after a the bike is warmed up.

If you decide to live with it:
What helps (a little) is storing the bike on the center stand and pumping the clutch about 12 times before putting it in gear for the first time when cold. This does NOT solve it, just lessens the severity. I also find that riding in the friction zone longer when the bike is cold 'almost' eliminates it, and so I don't make any sudden moves during the first few miles that would require agressive clutching (i.e., darting out into traffic).​

If you can't live with it:
Other remedies include drilling the clutch basket (per Kawa's technical note on the fix), trying different types of oil (synth vs dyno, thin vs thick) and replacing the friction plates as previously noted.​

Either way:
Search the forum and you'll find all the info you need to make a decision on what you want to do. This forum is one of the best I've ever belonged to as far as information and expertise of its users.​

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X3 to cglennon and wkrizan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I think I should be reading more of the vulcan verses, there is an entry about that under the transmission section. I also found that getting the bike moving before I engage the clutch helps a bunch. As long as the jerking isn't doing any major damage to my clutch or transmission I'm pretty cool with living with just dealing with it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I thought that I'd be cool living with it and just dealing with it, too, but I've decided that a Kevlar clutch plate replacement is due to occur in the near future...

--FA

·
Registered
881 Posts
it gets a little anoying sometimes, like others i try to let it warm up & pump the clutch. good idea on the centerstand, i will try that.

·
Dedicated Rider
42 Posts
See my post of Jan 25 2011

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts