Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my clutch has statred grabing when it is cold in the morning. it quits after a few times . i jusy bought the bike it has 30 k on the odometer. is it just stuck plates or is it a sign there worn out

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
A grabby clutch when the bike is cold is a common occurance with the vn750. The clutch plates seem to stick together overnight, and you have to work the clutch lever several times to get them moving freely again. Here is a list of threads I got by just typing in the words "clutch grabbing" into the search feature at the top of each page.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/search.php?searchid=293235

As you have noticed it usually goes away after the bike warms up.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You can help it out a little by squeezing the clutch lever in and out about 10+ times while the bike is warming up. It seems to help. This is the notorious "coffee grinder" noise you'll hear about on this forum. It is just the way the clutch acts when the clutch is still cold. Different bikes have similar quirks. The 1500 for instance, has a similar quirk. When it is cold you NEVER start it while it is in 1st gear. I noticed right off that the bike wouldn't roll when I got on it in the morning, while in 1st gear, with the clutch pulled in. Luckily, I never tried to start it in that setup. I have read on the VROC forum that it will launch you into what ever lays in front of the bike, parked cars, garage wall etc. The clutch plates apparently stick together really well when its cold and you have to put it in neutral before you crank it. I've always done that anyway, but I'd hate to be "that" guy that found out the hard way, if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have the clutch grab issue and gotten used it. Recently I switched to synthetic oil but the chattering is taking longer to go away. Next change I’m going back to Dino oil. Anyone else have this issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts