Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2002 vn 750
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When replacing the clutch friction plates is it necessary to replace the steel plates too. I see that they sell just the friction plates, should I also look for the steel plates or a kit with both? I have heard the steels don't wear but I'd hate to replace just the fiber plates and then have to go back and replace the steels lates. Of course money is always a factor too.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
When replacing the clutch friction plates is it necessary to replace the steel plates too. I see that they sell just the friction plates, should I also look for the steel plates or a kit with both? I have heard the steels don't wear but I'd hate to replace just the fiber plates and then have to go back and replace the steels lates. Of course money is always a factor too.
Usually you don't have to change the steel plates. Most of the problems are with the aluminum plates,which should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Some light sanding with medium sandpaper will remove any glazing that may have developed on the steel discs.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Some light sanding with medium sandpaper will remove any glazing that may have developed on the steel discs.
Yes, it's been suggested to go over them with a sanding block and 220 grit paper. Clean them off really good, lay them one at a time on a sheet of glass to be sure they are flat before re-installing them.

Be sure to soak the friction plates in oil before assembly too.

·
2002 vn 750
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll try just the friction plates. EBC brand from DK good plates or should I look at others?

·
Registered
99 Posts
EBC worked great for me. I only replaced the plates too. Very good upgrade, worth the time and $. No more coffee grinding when cold. Make sure to follow the sequence and directions of the plates/discs. Then enjoy smooth take offs....

·
Hoser
118 Posts
You need to replace the springs too.... Get the "heavy duty" springs
Definately do this. When my clutch started slipping, I found all plates and clutches in spec, so I scuffed the steels with a coarse Scotch-Brite pad, installed 5? new springs, and it has been fine for 6K miles.

·
Live And Let Live
20 Posts
I just did my clutch job, all I did was lightly wet sand the steel plates.
Works great...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts