Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM NEEDING TO REPLACE MY CLUTCH COVER GASKET ON MY 02 VN 750. HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS? I KNOW I NEED TO REMOVE FOOT REST, BRAKE LEVER AND EXHAUST PIPE. IT JUST DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THERE IS ENOUGH ROOM TO GET THE COVER OUT???????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I'm gonna be doing this this summer at some point. Whenever the leak gets annoying enough to.

I have the gasket and found a vaguely relevant page in the manual that at least says what bolts get locktite. And I can look up the torque values.

I guess I'm just asking is there anything I should keep in mind as someone who hasn't done this exact thing before? My mind is blown that I'll be removing a section of the frame.

edit: Oh yeah, do I have to drain the coolant?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I'm gonna be doing this this summer at some point. Whenever the leak gets annoying enough to.

I have the gasket and found a vaguely relevant page in the manual that at least says what bolts get locktite. And I can look up the torque values.

I guess I'm just asking is there anything I should keep in mind as someone who hasn't done this exact thing before? My mind is blown that I'll be removing a section of the frame.

edit: Oh yeah, do I have to drain the coolant?
Shouldn't be any Loctite on those bolts. Edit.. correction, there's one bolt shown that gets either permanent thread locker, or sealant, manual shows both, thread locker in the text and sealant in the picture. (Marked A)

Manual also shows two o-rings on each end of the coolant pipe, the orings are supposed to be at the ends of the pipe, and don't apply grease.

You do need to drain the coolant, and the manual says drain the oil but if you have the bike on the side stand it shouldn't lose any oil.

Good idea to put penetrating oil on the exhaust bolts after wire brushing the threads, before removal.

The frame section isn't bad to deal with. Positive that I removed the footpeg and brake pedal, but manual doesn't show that.

There's a link to download a manual in my signature.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Thanks for responding. Sounds good, I might replace those o-rings while I'm at it. Does that little pipe just come off when you remove the cover?
You're welcome. Do me a favor and see if the gasket is out of place near one bolt hole, above the starter in the top right corner area, or slightly to the left of that area.

Yes, once you get the cover to break loose, the pipe will come out of the engine. Honestly, I don't think I took the pipe out of the cover on mine, but new orings are definitely a plus. I would keep track of which end is in the engine, in case it's not symmetric.

The manual shows two pry points on the cover, to break it loose.

You'll want to make sure the gasket lays perfect and gets sealed good around the water pump. Don't want to do too much side to side motion after the cover contacts the engine.

I must've gotten lucky because I don't remember putting sealer on that single bolt. Oops

1 - 10 of 10 Posts