Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
You're welcome, that's the most recent job on my bike. Gasket was sticking out of the top right corner. Seemed odd that it wasn't broken or deformed, and it's happened just like that on some other VNs too.

· Registered
15 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I'm gonna be doing this this summer at some point. Whenever the leak gets annoying enough to.

I have the gasket and found a vaguely relevant page in the manual that at least says what bolts get locktite. And I can look up the torque values.

I guess I'm just asking is there anything I should keep in mind as someone who hasn't done this exact thing before? My mind is blown that I'll be removing a section of the frame.

edit: Oh yeah, do I have to drain the coolant?

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I'm gonna be doing this this summer at some point. Whenever the leak gets annoying enough to.

I have the gasket and found a vaguely relevant page in the manual that at least says what bolts get locktite. And I can look up the torque values.

I guess I'm just asking is there anything I should keep in mind as someone who hasn't done this exact thing before? My mind is blown that I'll be removing a section of the frame.

edit: Oh yeah, do I have to drain the coolant?
Shouldn't be any Loctite on those bolts. Edit.. correction, there's one bolt shown that gets either permanent thread locker, or sealant, manual shows both, thread locker in the text and sealant in the picture. (Marked A)

Manual also shows two o-rings on each end of the coolant pipe, the orings are supposed to be at the ends of the pipe, and don't apply grease.

You do need to drain the coolant, and the manual says drain the oil but if you have the bike on the side stand it shouldn't lose any oil.

Good idea to put penetrating oil on the exhaust bolts after wire brushing the threads, before removal.

The frame section isn't bad to deal with. Positive that I removed the footpeg and brake pedal, but manual doesn't show that.

There's a link to download a manual in my signature.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Thanks for responding. Sounds good, I might replace those o-rings while I'm at it. Does that little pipe just come off when you remove the cover?
You're welcome. Do me a favor and see if the gasket is out of place near one bolt hole, above the starter in the top right corner area, or slightly to the left of that area.

Yes, once you get the cover to break loose, the pipe will come out of the engine. Honestly, I don't think I took the pipe out of the cover on mine, but new orings are definitely a plus. I would keep track of which end is in the engine, in case it's not symmetric.

The manual shows two pry points on the cover, to break it loose.

You'll want to make sure the gasket lays perfect and gets sealed good around the water pump. Don't want to do too much side to side motion after the cover contacts the engine.

I must've gotten lucky because I don't remember putting sealer on that single bolt. Oops

· Registered
15 Posts
Well everything was going just fine (scraping the old gasket was a bit of a bitch) but I chewed up the two o-rings on the engine side on the metal coolant pipe when installing. Added a liter of coolant before it started spilling out. Took it all apart again. Looks like those o-rings are 2mm thick and ID of 20mm. Maybe 18mm, I'll measure again before buying.

Oh well, what's the saying--I do it right cause I do it twice.

edit- Oh yeah to answer you Spockster, no, it didn't look folded/out of place anywhere. But it got pretty ripped up when it broke free so who knows.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Success! Had to do the exhaust twice due to a leak at the header but now it all works. Thanks, @Spockster

o-ring is 2.5mm thick as it turns out. 18mm ID (less sure of this measurement)
You're welcome, glad you got it done!

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Any time you have that cover off it's a good time to look at the coolant impeller.
Good point. Had mine off and didn't think to check it out. The engine is pretty clean though, the Dexcool hadn't set up yet, was just a little muddy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts