Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Clutch case removed...

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 ·
Pulled clutch case cover today. No sign of gasket/sealer at all...isn't there supposed to be a gasket?? Shows one on the exploded view. Also had a big washer fall out to the ground as I pulled the cover. I think it fits on the spindle sticking out by the two gears on the right? Couldn't find reference to it on the parts exploded view, but the Kawa service manual did have one pic that looked like that's where it goes.

The clutch hub doesn't look good...kinda like the San Andreas fault line? Is this safe, or should I replace this, before it shatters?

Also the water pump is in bad shape...dunno if that mess will clean up yet or not...will have to see.

Didn't get as far today as I wanted to..but it takes time to document, bag and label each part as it comes off bike, so I'm just taking my time.

See less See more
#2 ·
That clutch basket has a bad case of metal fatigue IMHO. Replace it.

You can try using the Evaporust on the water pump, but I`m almost certain it will be way out of spec.

#3 ·
Other than the rusty water pump, and the stress cracks on the clutch basket, the rest looks pretty clean. I don't see any visible bad wear on the tranny gears.

#5 ·
yep..bike sat for minimum of 5yrs..probably closer to 10 based on what sketchy history I've gathered on the bike. I am the 4th owner that I know of and probably the 5th or 6th in reality. This bike was very badly abused and allowed to sit outside in a carport for several years and then was traded to my brother for some mechanic work he did and my brother had it in his barn for several years after that. He attempted to get it to fire once and it only ran on one cylinder. He gave it to me and I knew going in that it would be a complete restoration. Someone or several someone's have definitely been through this bike though...all the way into the engine. I can just tell by the feel of the bolts and lack of gaskets, loctite, etc..stuff just isn't right on it. I was hoping it was mostly external tinkering, but it seems that someone has been into the engine too.

My main reason for wanting it, is the seat height and 700cc's is plenty of power for me as a "new" rider. It's about all the bike I'll ever need and because of the age and the fact that I got it for free, I figure I can sink a bit of money in it and customize it some and still come out way cheaper than a new bike. I know I could probably grab a decent used bike for around $1000-1500, but it would still probably have issues and I'd then have to start from there and do all the things I'm doing to this one...so I figure I'm still ahead.

#6 ·
When you do it yourself, you'll always be sure of what you got.

#8 ·
I magnified my browser to 400%, your pics are pretty good. I'd almost agree. It looks like they're all over it. I've never had mine off to look at. Wait till someone who has changed their clutch to chime in. The majority may very well look like that. I do agree they look like cracks at first glance. But zoomed in they look like ridges as mentioned.

#9 ·
It really doesn't look right to me..if it were casting marks..I'd think they'd be a bit more uniform..plus the plate itself is dished in sort of...I'll have it opened up today hopefully and will know more. It looks like it's about to shatter to me. Only thing it might be is wrinkled paint or finish..but all the clutch basket pics I've been looking at..they are all smooth and flat..not dished and cracked looking.

#10 ·
Looks exactly like the marks on my Rebel clutch basket, FWIW. And they are ridges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.