Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
wickedwhip21
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I am new to the forum. I have read several threads on this. But I still cannot get it right. I purchased a 85 VN700 on CL for $200. The guy I bought it from said it had a charging issue, and he had began dismantleing in his apartment complex parking lot. He drained the oil, got the stator bolt out, and that is as far as he got. Supposively the bike had sat for about a week.

I got the bike home, and began investigating. The nuetral lead was hanging on by 3 threads, so I repaced that, and put back together. Once I put oil in, charged back up, it fired right up, and was charging like a champ. However I had that tapping at the bottom left engine cover. That's right, engine dampers. So I pulled the engine, and pulled her apart. While shopping for the engine dampers, I purchased new clutch springs(they were on sale so i figured I would get them and put them in) and control(Clutch and throttle cables) and some different gaskets, as the was some oil leaking from each side of the cases.

After getting all back together, and getting the engine back in yesterday, I began installing the new clutch cable. Looking at the new versus the old, there is differences. I purchased a Motion Pro clutch cable. The adjustment is at the ends of the cable, versus the center and handle bar end of the cable.

I installed the new cable, and tried to adjust like the manual states, but the clutch lever doesn't line up with the clutch shaft groove. I have turned the shaft fully clockwise till it stops, and installed the clutch lever. I then tightened it down till when I depress the handle bar clutch lever the wheel spins(Barely) with the bike in 1st gear. When the handle bar lever is not depressed the rear wheel doesn't move at all.

I figured that was good, but when I start the bike, and go to depress (disengage) the clutch to shift, the bike lurches forward and conques out. :doh: I figured maybe a few more turns to get a little more slack out would help, but if I turn anymore, the rear wheel will spin with clutch engaged(not depressed). So that is to little play in the cable.

Also when I go to rev the bike a bit to try to take off, a chirping sound comes from the clutch basket area on the right side of the bike. Since the engine sat for a while without oil, should I pull the clutch and lube the plates back up??

Sorry for the long story, just trying to get all the info in there. Thanks!!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Also when I go to rev the bike a bit to try to take off, a chirping sound comes from the clutch basket area on the right side of the bike. Since the engine sat for a while without oil, should I pull the clutch and lube the plates back up??
Probably the "coffee grinder noise":
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091

·
wickedwhip21
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. Will look into it. Was just viewing Roach's video #14. May try that if I can't get it to work right. Please keep the advice coming. Much appreciated!!:smiley_th

1 - 3 of 3 Posts