Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 has 20,000 miles. Lubed splines at 7000 miles.

This morning I have a clunking noise after shifting from 2 to 3rd after I release throttle pressure. Same noise from 3to 4th gear.AS long as I maintain throttle pressure ...no clunk, but when I release presure I get a loud clunk. Almost sounds like a frame member broke.

Thanks for your help.

WWicker, San Antonio

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Could be a worn universal joint on the drive shaft.
Your rear splines are due for lube service again too. The recommended service interval is 10K miles.
Check for any looseness between the splines on the final drive pinion shaft and the connector.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Just to give you something to compare to..

I have about 30mm (1.2 inch) slack at the rear wheel rim when the bike is on center stand and 1st gear on.

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Hoss. Pulled the final drive yesterday....splines shot. Had an independant shop mechanic lube the splines 13000 miles back...wonder if he used the Molly 60 like I told him. FYI the local Kawi dealer near Randolph AFB who has an old Kawi wizard in the shop says they shouldn't require re-lubing befoe 20,000 miles. Looks you guys have the gospel regarding spline lubing.

Now searching for a used final drive. New one costs about $1200.

Thanks again for your input.
W Wicker San Antonio

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Pappa. Pulled the final drive yesterday. Splines are shot. Now looking for used final assembly.
W Wicker San Antonio

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Someone on ebay beat me out of a 2000 final drive with 10,000 miles for 300$ or so ..about a week ago. Keep checking ebay...

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep looking at my splines on the final drive shaft and I am thinking about just replacing the coupling which has almost no splines left. Showed it to the local Kawi guru today and he thinks it is worth a try. Talking to a salvage dealer today who has a complete assembly for $350 and he said they had tried just replacing the coupling but it never works. Any body there have comment?
wicker/san antonio

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If the final drive splines are messed up, they will cause premature wear on a new coupler. But you could get many thousands of miles out of it before it fails, and couplers are cheap. Just hard to say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts