Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was checking my rear tire and rim to check for any warp, and I heard this. It sounds almost like a golf ball plunking around in there when spinning the rear wheel. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Hmm, does that sound normal? Does it mean the splines need to be lubed?
No, and yes.

I wouldn't ride until I fix whatever is making the noise.

If you can tell it's coming from the rear, has to be splines, driveshaft, gears, or brakes. Dry, dusty, rusty splines is my #1 guess.

What year? Later years left the factory without grease on the splines. Mine is one, a 2003, at 14000 miles they got greased for the first time. But they weren't making noise yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, and yes.

I wouldn't ride until I fix whatever is making the noise.

If you can tell it's coming from the rear, has to be splines, driveshaft, gears, or brakes. Dry, dusty, rusty splines is my #1 guess.

What year? Later years left the factory without grease on the splines. Mine is one, a 2003, at 14000 miles they got greased for the first time. But they weren't making noise yet.
Gotcha, I'll have to take a peek. It's an '86 with about 23k miles.

·
Registered
738 Posts
DO NOT ride that bike until you pull the rear wheel and figure out what is making that noise; splines, final drive, wheel bearing, rear brake, etc. Sounds potentially dangerous!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DO NOT ride that bike until you pull the rear wheel and figure out what is making that noise; splines, final drive, wheel bearing, rear brake, etc. Sounds potentially dangerous!
Definitely not riding it until I get this figured out. I have to swap out the stator, so I'll pick a day this weekend or next to disassemble and check things out.

^What they said. Could be a brake shoe. Could be those plastic triangle things. I assume it makes the same sound if you spin the wheel the other way?
I haven't actually tried spinning it the other way, but I'll give it a whirl tonight and report back.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
Well you spun the wheel backwards. If there's a loose brake shoe, it will sound different going the other way. (More of a scraping sound than a clunking sound)

Either way you need to pull the wheel off and check everything out. The drive hub transfers power to the rear wheel by a set of "paddles" that fit into large rubber/plastic triangle shaped things that fit into the wheel itself. These can produce a clunking sound when the wheel spins which is usually drowned out when the motor is running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts