Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search but didn't find anything. When I accelerate, then roll off the throttle, especially at low speeds, I get a pretty major "clunk" from the rear axle.

Ideas??

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
it sounds like it could be excessive play in the drive train. worn gears in the final drive or maybe worn splines.

If you put the bike in 1st gear and kill the engine and on the center stand with motor off....can you feel play in the drive train?

is there any play in the rear axle?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Did a quick search but didn't find anything. When I accelerate, then roll off the throttle, especially at low speeds, I get a pretty major "clunk" from the rear axle.

Ideas??
I don`t see any mention of doing fergy`s spline lube in your sigline:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274
Look at the pictures in this link. It sounds like the driveshaft coupling to the final drive splines may be dry and headed south. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Grab your wallet

Ideas??
Well my friend, in my experience, bad news coming your way. When that happened to me, I was 1/2 mile away from final drive failure. I hope I'm wrong for your sake. Don't make any sharp turns. Mine failed while making a u-turn. Either park your "project bike" or take a chance driving it (of course, with AAA Premier roadside assistance-they will tow your bike at no extra charge only with AAA Premier. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, it's at the shop right now. Stopped in yesterday on the way home, my mechanic (wonder if I can claim him as a dependant for taxes??) suggested I not drive it. Drove to work many mornings in 30-40 degree temps, 50 this morning and 75 now and I'm driving the cage. :doh:

Ol' Hoss: had the splines lubed when I bought the bike with 21,000 on it, 34,000 now.

Kayakrazy: "Grab your wallet", that's what I'm afraid of. Replaced the stator last year, got an oil gasket leaking that would require an engine pull...I can buy a LOT of oil for what that'll cost to fix.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ol' Hoss: had the splines lubed when I bought the bike with 21,000 on it, 34,000 now.
"Had the splines lubed", meaning someone else did the job?
Did you see what condition the splines were in at that time?
If they were in good shape 13K miles ago, and lubed properly, they should still be good now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts