Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the yahoo vn750 forums as well.. but here goes, maybe you guys know whats wrong :)

I just bought my used 1999 VN 750 and started it up today. I followed
the seller home yesterday and it ran beautifully. It started right up
today and I ran it up and down the alley to get a feel for it. I
stalled it quite a few times.. and the last time I stalled I tried to
start back up and it would give a throaty try and then rather than
kicking over it just started clicking (at the top of the cylinder
under the seat)..

I turned it off and made sure it wasn't in gear.. turned the key,
tried all different choke settings.. but every time I press the
starter I get a bunch of clicking coming from the top of the engine
under the from of the seat area.. anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Let me know if there's any other info I can give you, though I'm not
sure what else to add :)

-Jared

·
Registered
200 Posts
Jared...welcome!
Do you get any lights on the dash when you turn the key??? If you cycled the battery a number of times by stalling you may just have drained it too much.
First thing I'd do is check it....take the seat off (two bolts in the trunk) and make sure it is full of water if OEM & fully charged. If it is the add-water type, get rid of it as soon as you can and get a MaintFree one....you'll hear loads abt this soon, I'm sure.
Then make sure the connections are good on the battery...esp the ground.
Same for the starter motor on top of the oil filter...
I would also spray some contact cleaner/lube in the key slot.
Keep us posted....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had the same or similar problem. There is a unit (I can't recall its name) on the right side of the battery case that when a wire is disconnected from it, it makes a clicking noise near where you are describing when I tried to start the bike.
Go around and check all your wires and plugs under the seat and make sure they are secure while you are there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you kept killing it and cranking it to restart, you probably just drained the battery to the point that the solenoid is clicking instead of applying power to the starter. Try charging the battery and retrying. This should do the trick. If still no luck with a fully charged battery, you probably need a solenoid. When you get it started again, make sure your charging system is up to snuff by measuring voltage with it running. You should see at least mid 13's volts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took the seat off and the battery looked pretty bad.. there was a lot of corrosion on the left side (although the connection points werent that bad at all).. the battery case that the battery slips into was eaten away on the left side where all the corrosion was..

it *is* the fill-with-distilled-water type battery.. think grabbing a brand new maint. free battery like jm1515 suggested and throwing it in there oughta do the trick? i did stall it quite a bit and didn't go very far when I was riding :) I did get console lights, but perhaps i'll try a new battery

Thanks guys, i'll keep you updated! :)

-Jared

oh by the way, I was so excited about the bike this morning that I took some pictures, if you want to have a look here they are:

http://www.jplacek.com/suzieq/10052004/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, don't mind the duct tape or the bungee cords :) once I'm through dropping the bike (eek) and feel comfortable on it.. and my fiance does the same (we're sharing the bike to learn), we'll replace things like the windshield, grips, speedo covering (can you replace this?) and stuff.. I'd like to replace the levers even sooner (I got a nice pic of the makeshift clutch lever, eww)

-Jared

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe it just looks that way because the wheel is locked left? dunno..

i'm not sure what i'ts made out of, besides black duct tape.. it's much longer than it should be, but it works :) i'll be replacing this very soon though as it won't pass inspection as is

·
Registered
82 Posts
I see you live in my area. The MVA is quite anal about inspections, so I'd advise looking over the State Police's inspection book before even taking it in. I'm a car mechanic (not an inspector yet) and I have our copy at work to look through to see what will pass or not on my bike. This may save you some money if you can get things taken care of before paying the ridiculous money to get it inspected...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh? Where do you live? I'm on the east side of baltimore (as far as you can go without leaving the city) near Essex/Dundalk..

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Definitely get a maintenance free battery, if nothing else you won't have to worry about those acid spills while you are practicing and the bike goes down (which hopefully will be happening less and less) And.. you don't have to pull that seat every week to check the battery level.
Make sure you clean up the battery box with a baking soda solution to neutralize it. Otherwise it will just keep on eating away at it. Clean and repack all the connections around and under it too. One usual victim is the connection to the R/R located under the battery.
With the pipes you have you are already degoated so no worry about the heat source on the R/R.
Now.. som good news.. I have a clutch lever off my 2000 if you are interested. just drop me a private message and let me know where to send it. Has a little scuff on the tip but it's better than duct tape. Might want to read up in the Vulcan Verses about replacing it. There is a little caution on some tricky parts when replacing the clutch lever so you don't end up breaking off that little tab or anything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ah I know right where that is..

hey just an update, it sure enough was the battery.. I charged it over night and threw it in today and it started up first try.. ran it today, my fiance and I took it around the parking lot.. crossing the road to get to the parking lot was scary even though there were no cars on it, but once we got it there it was beautiful :)

I also bought a maintenance free battery today and have it charging (it comes sealed and charged but the guy at the shop said to throw it on the charger for a few hours before putting it in) .. so i'm going to hopefully tomorrow take out the old battery and clean out the battery housing with baking soda/soap to remove the corrosion, and put the new maintenance free battery in it..

·
Registered
82 Posts
That oughta work out well. I've noticed I have electrical issues on mine, and I'm gonna do the same and see if that does anything. It's not charging well, so it may well not be the battery, but I've replaced batteries in cars that were bad enough to the point where charging voltage was low even though the alternators were functioning correctly. With any luck, either the batt. or a R/R will cure my problems. I really don't feel like replacing the stator...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts