Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Vulcanians --

There is a slight clicking noise coming from inside the rear brake hub. The first time I noticed it was when I first got the bike a few months ago and I was adjusting the rear brake pedal freeplay. With the bike on the center stand each time I would spin the wheel I noticed a very slight clicking sound almost like something small was loose and tumbling inside the hub. I forgot about it because there was no ill effect.

Today after completing the spine lube I noticed the same sound as I was spinning the rear wheel to make sure the brakes worked and everything was okay. The wheel spins freely and the brakes seem to be working properly.

As part of the spline lube I inspected the rear brakes and everything seemed okay. I did not notice any loose parts. The brakes and drum have very little wear but a LOT of brake dust. I carefully cleaned the drums and pads with brake cleaner. The brakes seem to work much better after clearning. They grab the rear wheel quicker and with less pedal pressure than before.

I'll do a slow and careful test ride tomorrow and see if I can detect anything amiss.

Anyone have any idea what the sound might be? Do I need to remove the rear wheel again!!!??? Uhuug :doh:

Thanx in advance! :beerchug:

--

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Howdy Vulcanians --

There is a slight clicking noise coming from inside the rear brake hub. The first time I noticed it was when I first got the bike a few months ago and I was adjusting the rear brake pedal freeplay. With the bike on the center stand each time I would spin the wheel I noticed a very slight clicking sound almost like something small was loose and tumbling inside the hub. I forgot about it because there was no ill effect.

Today after completing the spine lube I noticed the same sound as I was spinning the rear wheel to make sure the brakes worked and everything was okay. The wheel spins freely and the brakes seem to be working properly.

As part of the spline lube I inspected the rear brakes and everything seemed okay. I did not notice any loose parts. The brakes and drum have very little wear but a LOT of brake dust. I carefully cleaned the drums and pads with brake cleaner. The brakes seem to work much better after clearning. They grab the rear wheel quicker and with less pedal pressure than before.

I'll do a slow and careful test ride tomorrow and see if I can detect anything amiss.

Anyone have any idea what the sound might be? Do I need to remove the rear wheel again!!!??? Uhuug :doh:

Thanx in advance! :beerchug:

--
Just tighten your chain! LOL

You may have a piece of debris behind the wheel coupling.

Remove wheel then remove the coupling retaining ring, coupling and damper.

Check the wheel bearings, might be time to replace.

FIRST!! Check your final drive oil level, Have you changed it?

Do you hear it more on the left or right?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanx for your reply Lance!

Yes, I changed the final drive oil. The sound is definitely coming from the right (brake hub) side. When I had the wheel off I checked the bearings by turning them by hand and they seem to turn smoothly. Is there any other way to check the bearings?

I studied the wheel assembly in the Clymers. I agree, I think the sound is most likely coming from a piece of debris behind the wheel coupling. The sound occurs each time as the debris falls from top to bottom only once per revolution. Very definitely something is tumbling inside behind the wheel coupling.

This sound has been there since I got the bike a few months ago. I've put several hundred miles on it without any problems. I'm tempted to do a test ride to check for problems before I remove the rear wheel again.

What do you think?

--

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Lance and Vulcanites --

I removed and inspected the rear wheel. It only tool me about 2 hours this time vs. 5 the first time. It definitely gets easier when you know what you're doing! :smiley_th Thanx again, Fergy! :beerchug:

Following Lance's suggestion and using the Clymers as a guide I removed the coupling retaining ring, coupler, and rubber damper (see pic attached). I did not find any debris or any cause for the tumbling sound coming from the hub. Everything looked fine and the sound is not as loud now, barely audible. This evening I will do a slow careful test ride but I don't expect any problems. This sound has been there since I got the bike several months ago.

I can't believe this rookie took the wheel completely apart :rockon:. . .well almost.

Thanx Lance!!!!! :beerchug:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts