Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone had found a clear replacement headlamp for our bikes or something that can replace the assembly fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dt i hadnt thought about using the car conversion kits. and i know on gypsy's old site the kury 7 inch wouldnt fit the housing without cutting the ring and welding it back around it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not sure about this, but I read somewhere a while back that auto bulbs and MC bulbs are not the same. Auto bulbs supposedly won`t take the vibration of a bike. Does anyone else know about this?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Lance has found that cleaning the lens with Simple Green and baking in the oven for a while works great for getting it factory clear. I know from personal experience because he did it to mine. You'll have to PM him about it though for his secret remedy.

Or are you talking about the bulb? I just went to Walmart and bought the Sylvania Sliver star H4 60/55W for mine a while back and haven't had an problems out of it.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Or are you talking about the bulb? I just went to Walmart and bought the Sylvania Sliver star H4 60/55W for mine a while back and haven't had an problems out of it.
What did you pay for the bulb? I just bought the bulb specified in the manual and paid nine dollars for it. It is a lot brighter than my old bulb was, but I am sure the Sylvania Silver Star is better.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
10 yr old

Not sure about this, but I read somewhere a while back that auto bulbs and MC bulbs are not the same. Auto bulbs supposedly won`t take the vibration of a bike. Does anyone else know about this?
I bought my bike as salvage in Y2K, replaced the bulb with cheap-o H4 ($8.99) and it's still burning. I would like to try the HID conversion some day with the clear lens.

DT

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I've got the clear lens auto headlight along with an HID conversion and no problems over the last two years with the set-up.
I don't have to worry about headlight bucket depth though since I have the fairing. However.. I do know that a Suzuki (650 I believe) headlight bucket will accommodate the auto headlight and it is a side mount setup. The main problem with an auto headlight is they are deeper then our OEM headlights, hence the need for a deeper bucket.

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Sylvania Sliver star H4 60/55W

What did you pay for the bulb? I just bought the bulb specified in the manual and paid nine dollars for it. It is a lot brighter than my old bulb was, but I am sure the Sylvania Silver Star is better.
The Sylvania Sliver star H4 60/55W is much brighter and wider than stock. I use it and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...words=Sylvania+Sliver+star+H4+60/55W&x=9&y=19

They do burn out quickly, (I believe 50 hours) although I'm in my 3rd year with one I'm planning on replacing it with a new one and keeping the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The Sylvania Sliver star H4 60/55W is much brighter and wider than stock. I use it and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...words=Sylvania+Sliver+star+H4+60/55W&x=9&y=19

They do burn out quickly, (I believe 50 hours) although I'm in my 3rd year with one I'm planning on replacing it with a new one and keeping the old one as a spare.
Sylvania SilverStar bulbs can be a GREAT value, especially the newer Ultra version.

Sylvania runs lots of rebates and coupons on these bulbs, but usually only on the set of auto H4 Silverstar Ultra bulbs (not the ST version). With a rebate/coupon these bulbs become a great value based on the increased visibility and quality of light produced. Yes, even Sylvania specs indicate they burn out faster than conventional bulbs (which they do). However, 2 years ago I purchased auto SilverStar Ultra auto H4 bulbs (model 9003/HB2) and took advantage of the $10 rebate at that time (got a good price on Amazon w/free shipping - $18/pair). Rebates are a pain in the butt, but they eventually sent a $10 check. I figured that the first bulb wouldn't last long due to vibration, so I would have the second bulb ready as a backup. It has been 2 years and still first bulb is still running strong, but only ride a few thousand miles a year. I still have the second SilverStar Ultra and the original OEM bulb on standby, waiting for the first to burn out.

Not a bad value so far.
If you can find the auto H4 bulbs on sale (i.e., $20 or less) and Sylvania is running one of their rebates (usually in the fall), then I think that the pair of auto H4 bulbs is a great value.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what i was actually looking for was a clear instead of fluted lens but after seeing strange paul's setup i think i may go with that one twin headlight streetfighter dominator

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I think I paid $16 or $18 at Walmart for mine, which is cheaper than amazon.com the last time I checked and you get it now, not 3-5 business days from now plus shipping cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts