Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured adding this to the Vendors Forum would be a good idea for any future Vulcaneers looking to upgrade to LED's....

Clear Alternatives: The only maker of a LED tail/brake light board for the VN750.

Forget those cheap replacement 1157 bulbs. Go with a complete board !!!

You can order the board HERE, and/or the clear lens HERE.
The clear lens is not needed, seeing as the LED's are red, but if ya want that modern look, they've got them.

I give them a big thumbs up !!

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
You want the Red Lense!

You know, The clear lense would be a bad Idea. The led's being red emitting light and the lense being red should intensify the red color. When the (Red)light has to travel trough any other color but it's own(Red) It can effect the overall outcome of that light. You would be relying on the led's to light all the clear break light cover. From the direct rear not to big of a problem, but from the side where your seeing a small area of the board all you would see would be the led's. Oppossed to the red lens refracting the light like it should. Red light + Red lense = Bright! Check it your self. Take the break light cover off.. Hit the breaks. Put the cover on.. Hit the breaks. Which do you think is more intense. Now think of the lense off as a clear lense.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hyper, did you install the board yet? Did I over-read the tiny type, and it's just a plug-in?
Installation was ridiculously easy (as mentioned in other threads).

The board hugs the grooves that the cover screws go into and the cover then holds it in place. It uses the same bulb housing as is already in the standard tail light assembly . . . the only bear was that the 'light fixing' (for lack of a better word) that plugs into the socket doesn't have much grip on it for pushing and turning it in to lock in place. Still, that just means it takes 2 minutes instead of 1 minute with a standard light.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I put mine in last night. Trying to get the socket in was the only problem I had. Since someone posted yesterday thet their's came with the black wire disconnected I wanted to be very careful and the wires are not long enough to move the board out of the way to get you fingers in there easily. Not a big problem though. I love how bright it is. Kind of like shouting at the cars behind you "I'm slowing down damnit!!"

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I used a pair of needlenose pliers to get a grip on the plug and put it into the socket. Other then that the hardest part was unscrewing the lens! (Yes I used plural because I put one in my VN750 taillight I have on the sidecar too)
I told my husband..
If anyone ever rear-ended me and had the nerve to tell the officer.. "I didn't see them"
Just go over and hit the brake light!
Ok, maybe a bad idea since then they could claim they were blinded by them *L*

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I put mine in last night. Trying to get the socket in was the only problem I had. Since someone posted yesterday thet their's came with the black wire disconnected I wanted to be very careful and the wires are not long enough to move the board out of the way to get you fingers in there easily. Not a big problem though. I love how bright it is. Kind of like shouting at the cars behind you "I'm slowing down damnit!!"

Add a Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light modulator and you are ROCKING...
:pepper:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installation was ridiculously easy (as mentioned in other threads).

The board hugs the grooves that the cover screws go into and the cover then holds it in place.
Also, the two O-rings placed over the screw post's (after the board is put in place) help hold everything in.

These can be a little tricky to put on. I held one side on the post with a small screwdriver, then used a small dental type pick to work the other end over, pushing them back until the board was held solid against the post's.

I had to do a little filing on the mounting post's too. The flat tabs above and below the screw hole seemed to have a bit of the mold flash left on them, so the board wouldn't quite fit.
I didn't want to force it and snap the thin pieces at the edge of the board.

·
Now what
400 Posts
I didn't have any trouble getting the o rings in place (once I figured out where they went) but getting the plug into the socket was a hassle. I tried putting it into the right socket (looking at it from the rear) and just couldn't get enough of a grip to push and twist it in. Then I tried the left socket and it went in a lot easier. Maybe it was the angle or something. Just for the record, I'm right handed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a believer!!!!! Just installed the CA led brakelight and it's even better/brighter than I imagined. Thanks to Bulldog and all others who researched and spearheaded this great accessory for our bikes. Installaton was fairly quick and easy. However, I do have one question. After getting the o-rings in place I noticed that each one rests slightly against one of the led's (the first inside led on either side of the post). Should I be concerned with too much heat on the o-ring? Thanks in advance.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I'm a believer!!!!! Just installed the CA led brakelight and it's even better/brighter than I imagined. Thanks to Bulldog and all others who researched and spearheaded this great accessory for our bikes. Installaton was fairly quick and easy. However, I do have one question. After getting the o-rings in place I noticed that each one rests slightly against one of the led's (the first inside led on either side of the post). Should I be concerned with too much heat on the o-ring? Thanks in advance.

Nah... O-rings are designed to accomidate heat and LED's produce very little. Enjoy the extra amperage...
:smiley_th:rockon::pepper:

·
Registered
553 Posts
They are a good product, wish I would of had them on my 750. I put the board on my 900 it is way brighter than stock but the 900 only uses 1 bulb so anything is a improvement over stock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got a problem with my led board. When I apply the brakes the light do not get any brighter. I removed the board and after comparing the two pins on the connector with those on the regular bulbs it appears that one of the pins is shorter and therefore not making contact once it is in place. Anyone else have this problem? After reading the posts I was under the impression it was simply plug and play with no other hardware necessary. Guess I need to contact the folks at Clear Alternatives. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Got a problem with my led board. When I apply the brakes the light do not get any brighter. I removed the board and after comparing the two pins on the connector with those on the regular bulbs it appears that one of the pins is shorter and therefore not making contact once it is in place. Anyone else have this problem? After reading the posts I was under the impression it was simply plug and play with no other hardware necessary. Guess I need to contact the folks at Clear Alternatives. Any other suggestions?
Check your brake pedal and see if the spring that pulls on the electrical connection to the brake light is set wrong. Sometimes they adjust themselves a little too far out, and when you depress the brake pedal, there's not enough pull on the spring to engage the connector. Here are two pics of the linkage - the black thing is the electrical connector - it has a needle at the bottom and through which the spring is connected (depress the pedal, spring extends, pulls on the needle, right electrical signal gets sent). You'll see that the black connector is threaded - try turning it out (CCW) a little and see if that helps. May not be related to your LED install at all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If that were the case wouldn't I havethe same problem with the standard bulbs? They work fine.
Absolutely. I was just trying to think of some explanation other than the Clear Alternatives piece, 'cause there really shouldn't be a problem there. Sometimes the sending unit is sitting at a critical point, and a turn or two makes it work (it took me a couple of outings on McKnight to get mine set right). Just thought it might be worth a check.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Crobins365 I appreciate the suggestioin. Since everything works fine with the original bulbs I was a bit leery of making any adjustments. I did notice that one of the pins on the led board protrudes a bit further from the back of the connector while the other is really flush with the back of the connecter. Don't see any way to force the shorter of the two out further without possibly damaging the unit. Per the CA website I also made sure the black wire was crimped through the coating. Kinda hard to tell though without removing the gel from the connector. I'm at a loss as what to do next. Sent the CA guys an email to see what they say. I really like the led board - just want it to work properly.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Crobins365 I appreciate the suggestioin. Since everything works fine with the original bulbs I was a bit leery of making any adjustments. I did notice that one of the pins on the led board protrudes a bit further from the back of the connector while the other is really flush with the back of the connecter. Don't see any way to force the shorter of the two out further without possibly damaging the unit. Per the CA website I also made sure the black wire was crimped through the coating. Kinda hard to tell though without removing the gel from the connector. I'm at a loss as what to do next. Sent the CA guys an email to see what they say. I really like the led board - just want it to work properly.
They will take care of you. Their customer service is great. If you have a problem, email me offline to [email protected] and I'll make a few calls on your behalf. But I doubt that will be necessary...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a problem with my led board. When I apply the brakes the light do not get any brighter.
First thing I'd try is to see if there's continuity between each pin and the socket on the C.A. board. If they do, it could be as simple as adding a drop of solder to the shorter pin, then filing/sanding until both are the same height.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts