Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the LED brake lights from Clear Alternatives. Should be arriving by Friday, and I'll install it then. I'm planning to keep my stock light cover, and I'm hoping the LEDs shine brighter through the cover than the stock bulbs do. I've seen pics where they are brighter when the brakes are applied, but I can't tell when only the running lights are applied. Anyone have them installed with the stock (red) cover? Do the LEDs shine brighter both with the brakes and while running w/o the brakes?

I bought them to lower the electrical load on my baby AND because I hoped they were brighter.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
On both tail light and brake light they are WAY brighter!!!
Many here have bought it (including me) and really are happy with it over stock.

Bulldog is the one who convinced Clear Alternatives to produce it. (Thx B.D.!)

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was because of Bulldog's posts, as well as several other posts confirming their preference for the LEDs, that I bought these babies. I actually used Bulldog's link to the Clear Alternatives website for purchase.

Thanks Bulldog! I'll let you know how satisfied I am with the new LEDs once the arrive and I install them...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
But, just so you are aware, the way the lightboard plugs in can be tricky.
It uses what looks like a regular bulb socket with a couple of wires hot glued/epoxied into it.
Some here had a wire break off when installing it, so be careful. Clear Alternatives did replace those though.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip, Hyper. I'll be sure to be careful with the install.

·
Registered
73 Posts
But, just so you are aware, the way the lightboard plugs in can be tricky.
It uses what looks like a regular bulb socket with a couple of wires hot glued/epoxied into it.
Some here had a wire break off when installing it, so be careful. Clear Alternatives did replace those though.
I just installed mine a couple of weeks ago. The bulb socket was completely filled with clear silicone. I could not see where the wires attached and it seemed that they would have been difficult to accidently pull out. Hopefully that's a design improvement they've made.

My bulb socket was very easy to turn in and as I posted on another thread, my only difficulty was getting the o-rings to stay put.

I will echo what others have said, much brighter! I'm still looking at other running/brake light options like an LED license plate frame. No matter how bright, one small light doesn't seem enough.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still looking at other running/brake light options like an LED license plate frame. No matter how bright, one small light doesn't seem enough.
Rick, I already have an LED license plate frame, where the LED strips are located top and bottom. They shine at two levels, low as running lights and super bright brake lights. They work great. I paid $72 for them. They also come available with amber turn signal LED strips on the left and right, if you wish to pay more and hook them up to your turn signals.

I highly recommend them to you. They greatly increase visibility and they give a much brighter brake warning to those behind you, both day and night.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Had the CA's on my 750 and loved, put their board on my 900 classic also. One thing I noticed on both bikes was that the headlight did not dim when the bike was at idle.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Clear Alternatives here as well. Used stock lens cover and are amazingly bright. Another thing that surfaces when folks installed them was the loss of side view because of the outward only direction of the LED's. A couple of folks kept one bulb installed to add light shining out the side of the brake lens to assist with illumination. I did not and haven't had any problems with only the LED's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can just buy the red 1157 style LED's from ebay... I used one of those in my old honda and it works great. I have the one with 57 LED's. The vulcan 750 uses 2, but I am not 100% sure it is the 1157 style fixture or not... a pair cost me $20.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
I purchased an LED bulb before I bought the C.A. panel. Actually, there is a huge difference in the amount of light put off between the two. The C.A. panel is much brighter, but more expensive also!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all. It's Thursday and my CA LED brake light panel arrived a day early! I've got Friday off, so I'm planning to install them tomorrow, and I'll let you know how they work. Funny how some of the little toys in our lives make us so happy!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just installed my LED brake lights from Clear Alternatives. I kept my stock red lens. I did a voltmeter check before and after, which may interest some of you. Here's what I did:

I took a voltmeter reading at 3 settings before and after the install, each time with and without the brake pedal depressed. The 3 settings were as follows:

1. key on, engine off
2. while idling at 1050 RPMs, after warm-up
3. at 3000 RPMs

The results were as follows:

...............................idle @
...................key.......1050........3000
...................on.........rpm ........rpm

bulbs tail....12.42.......13.70.......14.14
bulbs brake 12.29.......12.82.......13.50
volts drawn. 0.13.........0.88.........0.64

LED tail......12.45.......14.02.......14.18
LED brake...12.41.......13.82.......13.85
volts drawn. 0.04.........0.20.........0.33

These reading confirm that the LEDs draw less power both in the tail light mode and in the brake light mode. Compare tail light to tail light (bulb vs. LED) and brake light to brake light (bulb vs. LED) and the volts drawn when applying the brake lights (bulb vs. LED) and in all categories the LEDs are have higher voltmeter readings and less draw when using the brake lights. The differences are not linear, probably because of the particulars of my battery condition, R/R and stator. But I'm convinced that using LED brake lights are a savings on my electrical system AND seem much brighter from the rear. From the side view, the LEDs are about as bright as the bulbs were. I'm happy. Thanks all for your help with this decision.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Hey all. It's Thursday and my CA LED brake light panel arrived a day early! I've got Friday off, so I'm planning to install them tomorrow, and I'll let you know how they work. Funny how some of the little toys in our lives make us so happy!
Ever notice how when it's a toy/upgrade/bling we don't spend much time considering the cost, but when it's an actual repair, something really needed to get rolling, we shop around and do the math? :hitanykey

Anyway, glad you like the light. I have it on my "short" list of stuff to do for my bike too. :)

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
You can just buy the red 1157 style LED's from ebay... I used one of those in my old honda and it works great. I have the one with 57 LED's. The vulcan 750 uses 2, but I am not 100% sure it is the 1157 style fixture or not... a pair cost me $20.
And enjoy the car running up your arse... Those 1157 LEDS are useless. I know, I've tried all of them before getting CA to make the board. Might as well just wave a red flag when you want to stop as that would be more effective then the 1157 socket LED's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts