Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't really posted any good pics of my bike, and since I am feeling especially proud of it today, thought I would. IMHO, this thing looks AWESOME for an '89. Hell, it looks awesome for a 2009! Lol.

Just turned 10K miles on it, and am loving every minute. The weather is finally cooling down to the point where it's actually pleasant to ride again (I do ride through the summer too, although not every day).

Thanks to all in this forum who have helped me keep my ride on the road. Happy riding all : )

Attachments

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Oh yeah man that's a pretty girl right there, ha ha. Hey, Knifemaker said motorcycles are girlfriends and since at the present time I'm single so.... but really it looks great. I like the chrome side covers and the highway pegs. Wonder if those would fit with the stock engine guard? Looks like maybe not. Anyway good job. Now go ride it like you stole it and get it all dirty again lol.:smiley_th

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice looking bike. I like my 86' cause it's black which is another reason I really like your bike too!

·
1,100 Posts
Nice looking bike. I like my 86' cause it's black which is another reason I really like your bike too!
I like the black out engine and rims too.. Wish they kept that going. I thought about doing mine but its a lot of work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey Kev, ya got a good lookin' ride there. I also have an '89, so really can appreciate when one's in good condition. Enjoy, Bro!

John

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Sorry Kev, the bike's too clean and too low milage for an 89, my 09's 20 yrs. younger, a whole lot dirtier, and near double the miles...
Get that FF helmet on, and hit the twisties and spin that odometer on up there where it should be...:notworthy...:notworthy...:notworthy...
Just jerkin yer chain, great clean lookin 89, and I like that color scheme too...:beerchug:...:beerchug:...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I live in the Phoenix area, and have an '02 which would look brand new if I cleaned it up. And it has over 70,000 miles on it. But it has been garage kept, and never used for anything but pleasure riding. Never been left sitting in a parking lot.

Be careful about windshields. I had a Memphis Shades on mine that almost killed me a few times. It was the Harley type, but it was mounted way to vertical, and was not adjustable. It was just low enough to see over. It was downright dangerous at highway speeds, it acted like a sail, and caught a lot of wind, which did it's best to yank the bars out of my hands. It would also sometimes cause violent headshake.

Also there was an unbelievable amount of wind blast coming over the top of it, which hit me right in the face. It kept trying to rip my helmet off, it blew the face shield open several times, and blew it plumb off once. Unreal. And it was supposed to be a windSHIELD? Didn't take me long to get rid of that thing. And yes, it was the correct part# for my bike, both the shield and the mounting hardware. After that nightmare, I rode without a windshield for some time, but I had Kawasaki bolt on leather bags, bag mounts/turn signal relocator brackets, backrest, and rack out back, and the front needed something. So I got a Memphis Shades Shooter windshield. It is a lot smaller, and from what I can tell, does absolutely nothing but catch bugs. But it is well made, classy, dark tinted around the bottom, and looks good, and adds something to the front.

The stock (also made by Memphis Shades) shield on my Road King does very little, it is just as easy to ride without it, but it works with the hard bags on the back. It also has storage pouches on it.

The one bike I have with a windshield that works is my '85 Goldwing. This is my second Goldwing, other was an '82 1100 Interstate. Between the fairing and the shield, Honda just got something right. It provides a very still air pocket to ride in. Sometimes I feel it is a bit too still, and makes it feel like you are driving a car. But it does what it is supposed to, and far better than any other windshield I've ever had.

·
1,100 Posts
I had a full windshield on my GS1100 and it most definitely changed the handling of the bike adversely. I took it off because of the same types of problems Jerry mentioned. I've had a Hellcat shield on the front of my Vulcan for a few years now and I'm really happy with it. Sounds like it's pretty similar to the Memphis scoot - small and tinted on the bottom. I have it swept back at an angle that seems to deflect bugs (mostly;)) and that handles highway riding 80 and up with serious crosswinds very well. I think if it was more straight up I would have problems at the higher speeds. It helps just enough with wind fatigue on long highway rides. If you're on the highway a lot, a small shield may be the better way to go, although this is only the 2nd shield I've had so I have limited experience. I Never put one back on my Suzi. Food for thought!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am not a big fan of shields. WHen the 750 got wrecked it smashed the shield. I've never missed it. The 1500 came with a Memphis Shades and lowers, but I don't feel a big difference in the amount of wind, it is just hits me at an angle instead of head-on. Makes my shirt flap and buffets my helmet. I haven't had it on since early last Summerand don't miss it.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliments all.

And I TOTALLY agree with Jerry about the windshields : I don't like the way they adversely affect the aerodynamics, and I too noticed a lot of wind buffeting on the top of my helmet. My bike had a windshield on it when I bought it, and after riding it home, the first thing I did was take it off.

As far as the miles go - it only had 7800 on it when I bought it, so the lack of miles isn't necessarily due to my lack of riding. I have put over 3000 on it so far, which may not be a whole lot, but it definitely gets ridden, at LEAST 2 or 3 times a week, typically more.

I do have a family to tote around too, so can't necessarily use it all the time. But believe me, when I can, I do : )

Thanks all, and ride safe.

AZ Kev

·
1,100 Posts
aww man, saddlebags for the kids, trailer for the wife ( dog sits on the passenger pad, lol, jk) and that will take care of carting the family around... what?

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
↑↑↑ HA ha ha ha ha! That's awesome dude - some great ideas :smiley_th

Of course, I could always try this method too I guess....

Attachments

·
1,100 Posts
↑↑↑ HA ha ha ha ha! That's awesome dude - some great ideas :smiley_th

Of course, I could always try this method too I guess....
Ha ha! That's great! :beerchug:Must be using a 2x6 plank for a seat! Progressive anyone? And I ain't talkin' about the insurance either, lol :wow:

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
My family is close .......

But not THAT close!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts