Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a recommendation on what to use, if anything, to clean the tires? I put new Metzler 880's on last season and they are getting a little grimy from road spray.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hot water in a bucket with a little simple green or liquid dish detergent, and a scrub brush.

Stay away from any foam cleaners that make the side walls shiny. They also make the tires slippery.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hot water in a bucket with a little simple green or liquid dish detergent, and a scrub brush.

Stay away from any foam cleaners that make the side walls shiny. They also make the tires slippery.
Thanks, I did try Simple Green last time I washed the bike, but only with a sponge. It didn't seem to work that well, I dig out the scrub brush on the next wash.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The dollar store near my home sells tire and mag wheel cleaner for $1 :)
Works good and the rubber is black again.

DT

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Dawn makes sense since it cuts grease and stuff.

·
Registered
796 Posts
After a good cleaning I use the armorall protectent wipes just on the sidewalls and make sure not to get it on the tread.

·
Registered
736 Posts
After a good cleaning I use the armorall protectent wipes just on the sidewalls and make sure not to get it on the tread.
In my opinion, 303 Protectant, used as a marine protectant, is a better choice for dressing rubber and vinyl (i.e., the OEM seat). It is not as greasy as AmorAll and does not make the seat as slippery (ArmorAll is like grease!). 303 Protectant also last a lot longer longer, UV blocker and does not wash off as easily. Also, 303 Protectant claims not to cause cracking and delamination as users of ArmorAll have claimed (but not yet scientifically proven).

Again, I state that is my opinion only.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Simple green and a scrub brush is what I use. IMO I feel it is best to just not use any tire shine product of any kind. I just don't want to take a chance.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Never thought of the 303 protectent Cglennon. I'll have to try it.

Dawgsfan I know what you mean but if just applying it to the sidwalls with a rag and not to the tread there is no danger, plus it protects from weather cracking before the tire is used up.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Never thought of the 303 protectent Cglennon. I'll have to try it.

Dawgsfan I know what you mean but if just applying it to the sidwalls with a rag and not to the tread there is no danger, plus it protects from weather cracking before the tire is used up.
Point taken. But I doubt they will crack to the point of replacement before I use them up since this is my daily ride. I'll average around 10k-15k miles a years.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Quick run down. Bought the bike last February, immediately put tires on it because the front was almost bald and both were dry rot and cracked, put about 3k miles on them last year and I've already put 4k miles on them this year.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ah must be nice to be able to ride that much. I pretty much have to cram all my riding into 4 months give or take. Here in Maine we have a short riding season unless your a polar bear. I did however get 10,000 miles one year when I took a bunch of trips out of state and we had an unusually long summer. Anyways a tire could be on a bike for years and years up so any protection helps.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I think if a person is careful with the rubber protectant wipe, and only touches the sidewall that can never touch the road, you are perfectly safe in doing so. The problem with giving any such advice online is that too often the posts are not carefully read, only skimmed over quickly, and directions and cautions are not followed.

Getting any Armorall out another inch or two on the circumference of the tire`s sidewall, onto the chicken strips, will lead to a nasty fall down when you are leaned over in the twisties. Use it if you must, but be careful where it goes.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I think if a person is careful with the rubber protectant wipe, and only touches the sidewall that can never touch the road, you are perfectly safe in doing so. The problem with giving any such advice online is that too often the posts are not carefully read, only skimmed over quickly, and directions and cautions are not followed.

Getting any Armorall out another inch or two on the circumference of the tire`s sidewall, onto the chicken strips, will lead to a nasty fall down when you are leaned over in the twisties. Use it if you must, but be careful where it goes.
I agree.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I also agree.

Most people that ride bikes have a good common sense about such things. The ones that don't I am sure they are the ones that ride on the ragged edge and will inevodable wreck anyways.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If anyone here can lean their bike that far in a turn and live, I want to see it.

DT

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I drag the pegs on my Vulcan 750 on a consistent basis when riding in the mountains. I use Palmolive dish soap and a dish washing brush to clean tires, and don't put anything on them. They look pretty good. I found that Simple Green tends to dry them out and turn them brown. Simple Green makes a great wheel cleaner though. I don't put anything on tires for 2 reasons. One, I just don't like shiny tires, I prefer flat black tires (but anything is better than spotted brown tires) and two, while the possibility is remote if it is properly done, I don't want to crash because of the tires being slippery.

Our motorcycle cops sometimes take their bikes home with them, and a few years ago, one of them decided to Armor All his. The next morning, he dumped it in the first turn he came to. Obviously he used way to much (probably sprayed it right on the tire) and did get it on the tread.

I don't use Armor All any more for anything. Not because it is bad stuff for what you might want to use something like it for, but because I found something better. STP Son of a Gun is much thicker and longer lasting. I also use a lot of Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner. It works on everything, rubber, plastic, paint, chrome, even windshields. Jerry.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I use pledge on a microfiber cloth. It too works on everything and the windshield but do a thorough cleaning periodically to do deep cleaning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts