Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I clean the master cylinder container that holds the brake fluid? I need to wipe the brown film that is in the "walls" of it. would i have to bleed the fluid completely out?
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Have you tried using a lint free cloth? Not sure what your brown film is, but if it's mostly dirty brake fluid residue, it should wipe out. Don't use gas or any other solvent on the cloth. You don't want to contaminate the system with a foreign fluid. You could put a few drops of clean brake fluid on the cloth if it doesn't want to come off with the cloth alone.

No, you don't have to bleed the fluid completley out, and I don't recommend doing so. Make sure the level stays at the top of the hose or a little higher so you don't get bubbles in the line. I'm assuming you are going to add fresh fluid to the entire system once you have cleaned the mc, correct?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i am adding clean brake fluid. My front brakes locked up on me. The brake fluid was a dark brown. I bled the brakes until the lines had no more brown brake fluid and were cleared up with clean fluid. The master cylinder still has brown residue on the "walls" of it. I will try to clean it with a lint free cloth. Thanks

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2 to fc, the only solvent you want to use is clean brake fluid. Put some on a lint free cloth and wipe the brown film out.

Since your calipers locked up on you, I suggest you pull them apart to clean and rebuild them too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts