Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I have unplugged some of the wiring connectors, I have noticed corrosion on the contacts inside the plugs and have been thinking it would be a good idea to go through the bike and clean them up, but how do you get into those tiny openings to clean the brass contacts? The best I can think of is to use something like small jewelers screwdrivers as little scrapers.
Can some of you tell me what you use?
:smile2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,207 Posts
You can use a needle to press the lock tab on each spade to release it from the plug. It's a good idea to squeeze the spades so they fit tighter when plugged in. A loose spade was killing my fan.

Should probably do one wire at a time, or draw a diagram.

Spray contact cleaner would work well.

If it happens to be corrosion from battery acid on the r/r, use baking soda/water to neutralize the acid.
 

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use a needle to press the lock tab on each spade to release it from the plug. It's a good idea to squeeze the spades so they fit tighter when plugged in. A loose spade was killing my fan.

Should probably do one wire at a time, or draw a diagram.

Spray contact cleaner would work well.

If it happens to be corrosion from battery acid on the r/r, use baking soda/water to neutralize the acid.
;) Thanx Spockster. I'll try that. The corrosion does not look like battery acid but just age and weather.
Also had an idea last night to look to see what kind of small Dremel tips I can find that might be useful for getting into small places. I suppose I should pick up a tube of Dilectric Grease too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
I've had good luck folding a tiny scrap of sandpaper in half. It's springy enough that it pushes against the whole edge of the curl that contacts the spade and cleans it up pretty well.
 

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
Joined
·
16,209 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
I've used chemical brass cleaner (for brass cartridges) and had great results. Just dipped the whole connector in it for about 15 minutes then rinsed with carb cleaner. If you leave it in too long you will eat into the metal. I would use a dielectric grease to prevent corrosion as doing this exposes fresh/un-plated metal to the elements.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top