Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got my '94 VN750 into the shop where she has to undergo servicing. Been standing for almost two years.
While the mechanic is fiddling around with the mechanical side I would like to start cleaning, and have a couple of questions:

1) What is the best procedure to clean/conserve the original seat?
2) For the chrome parts what is better/longer-lasting Nevr-Dull or Brasso?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers from Costa Rica!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Any auto part store should carry vinyl and leather cleaner. I use McGuires.

Ditto for the chrome cleaner. A coat of turtle wax after cleaning makes it easier the next time. Am sure folks here will chime in with their "favorite" polish or cleaner, but really there's not much difference other than price. ;)

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Any auto part store should carry vinyl and leather cleaner. I use McGuires. ;)
Yup, just whatever you do, do NOT use armorall on your seat! Everytime you break, your ass slides forward and 'the boys' want to meet the steal tank. Never armorall your seat! :D :motorcycl

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yup, just whatever you do, do NOT use armorall on your seat! Everytime you break, your ass slides forward and 'the boys' want to meet the steal tank. Never armorall your seat! :D :motorcycl
or your handgrips :motorcycl

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I take a shower to clean my seat and use a toothbrush for the chrome!

:D :doh:

Seriously, a wet rag with water is sufficient for the seat. I recently began using Neverdull. Easy to apply and easy to polish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Thank you for all the good suggestions!

I do no like ArmorAll - or a similar product we have here, called "Nais" - since they both stink like super-cheap patchouli and make things really slippery.

Cheers from Costa Rica!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Plain, white vinegar works well for cleaning oil based dirts....even lemon juice...and both are safe to finishes....I dilute mine to 50/50....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I clean my chrome with Never Dull and then wash/wax the whole bike with Fukken Wax (water-less wash). I only ever used a cleaner/protectant on the seat once...that was a fun ride! Like a rodeo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

Thanks for the multiple replies, and the good counsel contained therein!

Since I am not a native english-speaker I was wondering wether "Fukken Wax" was a real term. And, by Golly, it is!
I've used Meguiar's products since the 70-es and Nevr-Dull for about that same time. Excellent stuff, both of them.

And the "lemon treatment" is new to me. Will definitely try that out.

I don't think I'll be able to get the wax here, in Costa Rica, but I've "imported" Nevr-Dull, and we even have a Meguiars representative in the country. So let's see...

Cheers from "Happy Nappy"!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Heh, yeah I got turned onto Fukken wax on a truck forum that I'm a member of. One of the guys on the forums sells it and has some pretty good deals every once in a while. But I imagine it would be pricey to import down there.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Damn, that is funny stuff

I take a shower to clean my seat and use a toothbrush for the chrome!

:D :doh:

Seriously, a wet rag with water is sufficient for the seat. I recently began using Neverdull. Easy to apply and easy to polish.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Have yet to re-investigate waxes, because up until now, I always rode a ratbike, and NEVER washed and waxed....but from my hot rod days in the 70s, I remember that Simonize Blue was top of the line...prolly dont even make it any more, lol....best I hear of nowadays is either Megulars or Mother's...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts