Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently got access to a garage while house sitting for a friend for a week, so I took the time to undo the effects of 2 years under a cover in the back yard with only occasional hose-downs and rides.

I degreased the bike head to toe, found any rusty spots and touched them up with brush-on Rustoleum paint, also painted the forks and top of the triple tree, the saddlebags, rear springs, and touched up the engine with VHT.

I took the front wheel off and removed the brake rotors, wire brushed the rust and scrubbed the wheels for about an hour. I was gonna paint it black but the cleaning looked so much better I left it.

I also took steel wool and CLR to the pipes and any chrome I wanted to remain, then machine polished it with a drill attachment and Brasso. It still has pitting in places but it really shines again.

It’s not a HUGE change, but it looks about 5 years younger after all this.

Now I just gotta find time to ride eith

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I think it looks good, let me know where to drop off my bike and you can do mine next ;)

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
The power of black and silver! Looks good! Those wheels look really clean.

Rust-oleum is good stuff, going to use it on my trailer, and mount a pair of VN750 tail lights.

The dust on my bike looks pitiful.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yeah man, looking nice.
Are you happy with the slipstreamer windshield? Does it provide any deflection around the hand grips or are they still in the wind?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I love this windshield. It provides wind and bug deflection for my hands and it wraps down beneath the turn signals so my whole cockpit is nice and still. It’s a great fit for the Vulcan. Mounts very cleanly to the Vulcan via the turn signal screws and the handlebars.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
Looks awesome

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Some outside pics that do it even better justice. I’m really pleased and can’t wait to get this thing back into a garage I can call my own. I feel bad that it sits under a cover, but at least I’ll have to do less work the next time I give it a bath
5D18480B-51D3-4D12-B8E7-E57CA5DE3B84.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Did you paint your engine while on the bike? I’m contemplating doing this and not sure if spraying or brushing is the way to go. I feel like spraying might turn out better but more of a chance of painting something I don’t want painted.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I painted the engine while I had it out a few years ago. I pulled it to do the balance dampers, which weren't necessary, but I was glad I took the time to repaint it. I stripped the engine of it's factory paint with aircraft remover and painted with VHT Satin Black spray paint.

I kept the 2nd can and used it to touch-up the paint that had flaked off or been rubbed away since I painted the whole thing. I touched up any frame bits (anything black that DIDN'T get hot) with a chip brush and brush-on Rustoleum Enamel Gloss. Didn't do much prep work on the little bits and bobs, but I did go at the forks, saddlebags (plastic) and rear springs with a wire wheel on a drill. It's not a show bike by any means, far from it, but it looks WAY better with polished chrome and without all that faded plastic, corroded aluminum, and little rust spots showing through.

All that said, If you can get VHT in a brush-on can, you could paint the engine in-frame. It would be fiddly and you'd still need to mask things off, but it could be done and probably look OK. Spray will likely look better on such a complex object since it provides a more even coat and you can paint in thin coats to avoid runs and sags. Trying to mask everything off would be a huge pain if VHT only makes spray paint. I wouldn't use the Rustoleum on the engine, only a dedicated engine paint that could take the heat.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I painted the engine while I had it out a few years ago. I pulled it to do the balance dampers, which weren't necessary, but I was glad I took the time to repaint it. I stripped the engine of it's factory paint with aircraft remover and painted with VHT Satin Black spray paint.

I kept the 2nd can and used it to touch-up the paint that had flaked off or been rubbed away since I painted the whole thing. I touched up any frame bits (anything black that DIDN'T get hot) with a chip brush and brush-on Rustoleum Enamel Gloss. Didn't do much prep work on the little bits and bobs, but I did go at the forks, saddlebags (plastic) and rear springs with a wire wheel on a drill. It's not a show bike by any means, far from it, but it looks WAY better with polished chrome and without all that faded plastic, corroded aluminum, and little rust spots showing through.

All that said, If you can get VHT in a brush-on can, you could paint the engine in-frame. It would be fiddly and you'd still need to mask things off, but it could be done and probably look OK. Spray will likely look better on such a complex object since it provides a more even coat and you can paint in thin coats to avoid runs and sags. Trying to mask everything off would be a huge pain if VHT only makes spray paint. I wouldn't use the Rustoleum on the engine, only a dedicated engine paint that could take the heat.
Appreciate the insight. I had seen another bike on the forum and the guy did his rims and engine with Dupli-color cast aluminum spray paint. It looked really clean. I can’t remember the member’s user name though, but he did it in frame and that’s shy I asked. I have painted plenty of houses but I don’t think those skills would translate well to painting the bike.
The PO left this bike bone stock, frankly I don’t think whoever had it did ANYTHING to this bike except ride it. It had a tiny fuel leak near the carb and that little drip has eaten at the engine paint on the left side on and around the stator plate obviously over time. Winter is coming so I may get adventurous lol
Thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts