Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a clanking noise coming from the engine. It doesn't effect the way it rides or anything. The noise just comes and goes. I dont think it's a rod, maybe a sticky lift could cause this?
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does it sound like a ticking noise from the left front of the engine, right rear, in the center, certain rpm, acceleration, deceleration? Have you checked your oil, water level?

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Do you primarily hear it when idling, just after start-up? Mine will do that every so often. I am thinking that mine is asking for the ACCT to be looked at. Mine goes away once I've ridden it for a few minnutes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear it by the carberator, right side. sounds like a nickel hitting metal sound. I only hear it when I am stopped and it's just idling. It doesn't get louder or softer same noise. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I havent had the carbs cleaned out and dont have any information on the last owner what work he had done. I poured some seafoam gas treatment and noise went away for 2 months. Then it made the noise again.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had the oil changed about 400 miles ago, all fluids are full. I changed the plugs and wires about 200 miles ago. Seems like when I give it full throttle it bogs a little. (struggles to accelerate fast)

·
Registered
40 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to pull the carbs off and give them a good cleaning and looking at, I can't think of any thing inside the carbs that would rattle sometimes and not other without not running(like a loose jet). I say pull, clean, inspect, and go from there. Also check you ACCT's for slack (grambo trick).

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I wouldn't pull the carbs if adding Sea Foam stopped it before. I'd add more Sea Foam first and see what happens.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, that's where I heard the sound. I got an oil change and added seafoam to the tank and oil and tada the noise is gone. My mechanic said it could of been a sticky lift or something.

·
Registered
900 Posts
yep, that's where I heard the sound. I got an oil change and added seafoam to the tank and oil and tada the noise is gone. My mechanic said it could of been a sticky lift or something.
I have been told that you don't want to run seafoam in the engine oil for long.. maybe a 100 miles or so just to break the crud up in the engine.. alot of us do this before an oil change.

before I did my ear shave I used to hear a clanking tapping odd metal on metal sound.. come to find out it was the emmisions valve air switch thing banging on the top of the engine.. slipped a peice of hose under it and poof.. noise gone... just a thought.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Do the grambo trick before doing anything else. Look it up in the vulcan verses. It will give good dirrection on how to excecute the procedure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts