Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have a 2001 vn750. I have it ear shaved with uni pod filters unoiled. Air screws are 2 1/2 turns out. Pulled the filters off the pitcock and put 2 inline filters in. Plugged the vacuum line to the right carb. Replaced the vacuum line to the left carb running to the pitcock. Also have marbles in the hoses going to the reed valves.

What its doing is chugging out and dieing when you open the throttle. This is with the bike in neutral and when you are ridding. The problem comes and goes. I can pull the choke on and it will rev to 4-5k but still boggs out when you roll on the throttle.

I have pulled the carbs and cleaned the jets. Couldnt get the screws loose to seperate the carbs and check the float bowls so I filled them full of carb cleaner threw the openings where the jets are located. I know the carbs are back in the boots tightly. I also tryed back blowing the carbs while they were off. To make sure it wasnt air locking from the vent in the cap on the tank I ran it with the cap open and it didnt help the problem.

Just got back from a test ride and it seems to be more pronounced after you have maintained a steady rpm and then slowed down. Then when you roll the throttle back on it chuggs down. Sometimes it will catch back up and sometimes it will die out.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hi have a 2001 vn750. I have it ear shaved with uni pod filters unoiled. Air screws are 2 1/2 turns out. Pulled the filters off the pitcock and put 2 inline filters in. Plugged the vacuum line to the right carb. Replaced the vacuum line to the left carb running to the pitcock. Also have marbles in the hoses going to the reed valves.

What its doing is chugging out and dieing when you open the throttle. This is with the bike in neutral and when you are ridding. The problem comes and goes. I can pull the choke on and it will rev to 4-5k but still boggs out when you roll on the throttle.

I have pulled the carbs and cleaned the jets. Couldnt get the screws loose to seperate the carbs and check the float bowls so I filled them full of carb cleaner threw the openings where the jets are located. I know the carbs are back in the boots tightly. I also tryed back blowing the carbs while they were off. To make sure it wasnt air locking from the vent in the cap on the tank I ran it with the cap open and it didnt help the problem.

Just got back from a test ride and it seems to be more pronounced after you have maintained a steady rpm and then slowed down. Then when you roll the throttle back on it chuggs down. Sometimes it will catch back up and sometimes it will die out.
I am NOT a carb Guru.....................
Pull & clean your carb;s........
Your Tank Rusty ? ............

:smiley_th

...carb guru's would be of great assistance.... pls comment....

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
I know very little about this, but I will offer advice where I can...

Oil the filters. What I did was over-oil the filters, and (with the pk-92) I put the filter boot on a table, compressed the whole filter down, grabbed a rag, and gripped/squeezed the foam.

I can't wait to figure out what the problem is, but I'm going to put my bet on too much air flow.

These bikes need air restriction to operate properly. With no air restriction, the vacuum assembly doesn't work right.

Probably not your issue, just my guess :)

Also double check vacuum caps. Is your left vacuum in stock position (petcock to carb)?

Check your plugs, they might give you an indication, but I don't know.

I'm just a troll 'round these parts :)

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
It seems that in the simplest form, you don't have the right air/fuel mixture.

Whether it's lean or rich, and where the problem is, that's the fun part to figure out.

·
4,508 Posts
Fuel filters would rule out rusty tank?
I agree....

Whether it's lean or rich, and where the problem is, that's the fun part to figure out.
Oil the filters. What I did was over-oil the filters, and (with the pk-92) I put the filter boot on a table, compressed the whole filter down, grabbed a rag, and gripped/squeezed the foam.

I can't wait to figure out what the problem is, but I'm going to put my bet on too much air flow.

These bikes need air restriction to operate properly. With no air restriction, the vacuum assembly doesn't work right.
most others will also agree......& I would think.... but Symptoms prevail......

·
4,508 Posts

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive ran the bike with this set up for a cupple of months and shes ran fine with the dry filters and I put new ngk plugs in a cupple months ago. I pulled them when it started acting up and they read just right to a hair rich.

·
4,508 Posts
Ive ran the bike with this set up for a cupple of months and shes ran fine with the dry filters and I put new ngk plugs in a cupple months ago. I pulled them when it started acting up and they read just right to a hair rich.
Dry Filters ?

.....sounds logical to me...

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
So you've been riding this bike for a while? I wonder if this is a result of mechanical malfunction, or if it's a product of a mistake in a procedure (did you do any work to the bike in the past couple months at all?)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I know you said it has been running fine then started this. Are you sure the inline fuel filters are flowing enough? I could've sworn I read on here where folks had issues with inline filters on these bikes. You could always put a straight piece of hose on there temporarily and see if that resolves the problem.

Just a thought.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Maybe some dirt got through the foam.the oil is meant to act as a filter, stopping more dirt than the foam can.just a thought...

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hay finaly fixed the problem a week or so ago, I hope. Do t have regular acess to internet any more so its took a while to get back on. I took the gas cap off and gutted it. Took out both flapper valves, took off the paper gasket covering the valve body and chaneled it out with a dremel. Then enlarged all the orifice openings. Also cut off the tail peice with the nipple that goes down in the vent tube in the tank. Now its free breathing threw the gas cap and I havemt had any issues since.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Hay finaly fixed the problem a week or so ago, I hope. Do t have regular acess to internet any more so its took a while to get back on. I took the gas cap off and gutted it. Took out both flapper valves, took off the paper gasket covering the valve body and chaneled it out with a dremel. Then enlarged all the orifice openings. Also cut off the tail peice with the nipple that goes down in the vent tube in the tank. Now its free breathing threw the gas cap and I havemt had any issues since.
Smart,,,, POGS:carryflag

1 - 15 of 15 Posts