Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to installing the Chrome Radiator Cover, with it installed the bike is beginning to look like a real mc. I don't like leaving the radiator fins so exposed, will have to find some kind of metal mesh to cover the fins.
From riding through the Winter there was quite a bit of mud in the radiator fins, any ideas on how to get it out without damaging the fins?

Have been lookin on EBAY for a Honda GL1100 front fender, but haven't seen a reasonably priced good one yet. Is it possible to put a chrome rail on the GL1100 fender? Am anxious to put a larger front tire on once I find the larger fender.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
From riding through the Winter there was quite a bit of mud in the radiator fins, any ideas on how to get it out without damaging the fins?
There are tools like THIS one, made for straightening the fins. Would probably work for cleaning too.
I usually let the hose do the cleaning when I wash the bike. I try to get as much as possible from the back of the rad first, with the water pushing the dirt out the front. Once the water looks clean, I'll hose it off from the front.

But be careful with anything you use as a guard for the rad. It may not look like much, but even the stock guard restricts a good bit of air flow.

Just try it with a house fan. More than likely, if you take the front grill off, you'll get ALOT more air blowing.
IMO, the best type of guard would be something like dirtbikes have. Vents.
In all the mud and rocks kicked up infront of my KLX, I've never had a rad blow out due to flying debris.
Although, your 650 dualsport probably has a screen, doesn't it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Norsseman

It sounds like you removed the plastic shroud?

The Crome shroud cover is just that a cover over the plastic one. To make it fit correctly you have to enlarge the 3 bolt holes in the plastic shroud to allow the posts to fit in the holes. I used a dremmel to widen them up. This allows the OEM shroud cover to stay keeping the plastic mesh over the radiator.

One thing I am thinking of dooing is pulling mine off and spray painting the plastic mesh with crome paint :motorcycl

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Actually, some have installed the Chrome cover OVER the existing radiator cover. you just need to drill out the holes on the old cover so the bolts go through.
If you opt not to use the existing cover, check out some of the screen door guards at Home Depot. You will want something fairly open so as not to block too much air flow though.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I woke up this morning it finally dawned on me that the chrome radiator cover might fit over the plastic. Thanks for the heads up on having to drill out the plastic holes a bit more.

Yep Hyper the dual sport KLR650 has a guard over the radiator fins, but there is less obstruction to air flow with a narrower mesh guard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts