Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any dealings with the new chopper kit for the 750?
I'm thinking about chopping my bike and wondered if anyone else has.
I wouldn't mind knowing the pros and cons before attempting this.
I have a 2003 all stock.
Info greatly apprecieated.

CapHAB

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Welcome to the group.

I know I've seen it discussed around here a bunch of times, and some have posted pics and links to that kit, but I don't remember where. While you wait for replies, try the "Search VN750" box in the upper right corner, and take a look through the gallery photos as well. Alot of people around here are pretty good about documenting in writing and photos all the stuff they do to their bikes.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
VN750 Chopper

Did a Google search on Vulcan 750 Chopper and found this picture, can hardly tell it is a Vulcan. It might give you some ideas.

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Are you referring to something like one of THESE kits?
Don't think any one here has used one, but Dianna did rake her's some when she added her sidecar.

There's quite a few pics of other customized 750's HERE too. Some include contact info (though I'm not sure how up to date they might be)

·
Registered
707 Posts
one guy did... i actually sent him an email.. artman i believe.. are you talking about the AME kits??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes as a matter of fact I am refering to the AME kit. I was trying to shine the lower front forks this morning, and took a closer look at the triple trees
on my bike. I see one problem right out of the gate. The top triple tree has the dash and other componets attached. From the look of the AME kit, I don't think the top tree will allow me to reattach the componets. Im going to remove the whole front end one day next week, so I can get a real good look at just what goes where. Also use this time and disasymbly to get a real good shine on the lower forks and detail the front tire and rim.

Thanks for the help folks.
Cap HAB:rockon:

·
Registered
707 Posts
i actually was emailing back and forth with them for a week of so asking questions and they sent me a brochure for their kits... let me see if i can post it on here...

here is the link and you need a pdf viewer...

http://www.ame-chopper.de/AME_Downloads/U1_AME_CHOPPER_KITS_NEU.pdf

scroll down to page 10... it looks like the stock gauges to me..

if not you seem to be mechanically inclined enough to do it yourself so you could always fabricate some kind of dash if need be.. good luck and deffinetly keep me posted cuz im already saving up for one..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to let you know bigrepp61, I haven't taken the time to look at the pfd file you refered to. I have been sanding and polishing and sanding and polishing and ect and ect to get the bottom forks to shine like chrome. After 6 hrs I finaly finished the right side. I guess I'll do the left tomorow. But I'll take a look at that pdf file tonight to see if it helps. I'm only in for another week before I go back to sea. I'm trying to get her all shined up, so I can put her back in the shed. Hopefuly I can ride my next time home.
Thanks again
CapHAB

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK folks, Here it is straight from the horses mouth. I was wondering about remounting gaguse and such so I sent AME an e-mail, heres the reply:

Harold,
The kit doesn't lower the frame unless you choose a tube length that's too short for the application. We have had some inexperienced customers try to do the install and forget to put the (included) tube spacers in the extended tubes. This will cause the springs to droop. That must have been the problem the customer had that you refereed to.
As for the components mounting back after the conversion, some of the metric bike kits, do not have provisions for the stock gauges/accessories, that mount to the trees. The VN750 is one of them. The main reason is most customers plan to use custom gauges and accessories, for a cleaner look. No brackets have been designed to remount the orig. parts.
Ken

·
Registered
707 Posts
it shouldnt be too hard to remount the original gauges though.... like i said im assuming your proficient with tools and you could fab something up very easily with a drill cutoff wheel and some bolts...too bad they dont think that the stock gauges are important...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you on that. I wanted to get it back as close to the original look as possible, just chopped. I looked it over a few minuets ago and I can mock up a piece to reattach most everything the way it is. But I will probably get an aluminum welder to make it, then I can shine it up and make it look custom. My thoughts are to use the 4 bolts on the upper and lower triple tree that tighten around the forks and mock up a piece that would mount there. I can see it in my head but its hard to explain.

·
Registered
707 Posts
yeah i understand what your talking about.... i might just go with steel since im going to probably paint it.... if i had the capability to weld aluminum id go that road because of weight.... i already add enough to it myself...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts