Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently been hating on my backrest. This weekend I sliced it off. Used some door hardware to bolt it down. Sprayed it black to make it look less awful.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks good! That's what I plan to do to mine too. I'm just too old to try and kick my leg over that backrest...LOL!

You might take a look at this guy's photos..

http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=6810

I plan to make something similar for a cover plate for mine and will probably mount a nice leather tool pouch on the back too.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Here is what I did to mine,click on the various pics for different views
http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=85
I put the tabs on the side of the seat and used the fender bolts to hold it down and completely removed the aluminum struts,those lights on the Bags are marker lights off a truck and i used those for signals until I installed the trunk and then I went with mini signals bolted to the mounting plate.I also removed the stock seat cover and reshaped the seat and recovered it in Black vinyl.Just some ideas to help clean up the rear I didn't like the pillow top seat or the backrest either one. Look at it with the homemade drag pipes for a close up view of the side ,it was filthy. I had just been rained on big time.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Looks good! I'm just too old to try and kick my leg over that backrest...LOL!

How old is too old to throw a leg over...??? I'll be 74 in Dec., and so far have no problem throwin a leg over it... I think I made good use of my passenger backrest by putting the $4.97 china-mart 6 pk cooler box on it for extra carry space, and man what a good backrest, also hanging the rear bag on it...
Yes, I know "Clyde" needed a good wash job, but I had just come back from a very good twisty ride that took me over a +/-3 mile stretch of gravel road to get there, goin from the "Devils Triangle" to the black top road across the mountain and down into Caryville Tn., anyway I always thought "Clyde" was made for go, not show. ...lol...
...:motorcycl...:motorcycl...:motorcycl...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you take a look at my pics on the in the Darksiders thread post #47, this is what I did to do away with my backrest. I still have the original setup from my 93' in case I need the backrest for a passenger as well. I will get some better pics posted soon for a closer look.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16057&page=5

·
Registered
174 Posts
I dunno Old Dog...I'll be 50 next month..but I just don't bend that way anymore...LOL! I'm also about 5'6" with my boots on and have a bad left knee. I seem to be able to get on fairly easy..but getting off I have to remember to put my left foot out a few inches and then use my hand on the tank to balance to get enough kick with my right leg to get it over the backrest. It only hangs by an inch or two..so removing the backrest and trimming it down would make it very easy to get on/off the bike for me. I have NO intention of riding double ever and probably won't do too much touring either..mostly just jaunts around the countryside here. Dunno yet..I probably won't chop it till after I've gotten my license and ridden some..I might just limber up again...who knows...LOL!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you take a look at my pics on the in the Darksiders thread post #47, this is what I did to do away with my backrest. I still have the original setup from my 93' in case I need the backrest for a passenger as well. I will get some better pics posted soon for a closer look.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16057&page=5
I like the way you shortened the struts baldy,I see you figured out that they are only there to hold the backrest on also,the frame tabs behind them are what supports the fender,you left a little shiny stuff there ,I like it.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Hey Denny, is that fish thing on your back fender a light of some sort?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hey Denny, is that fish thing on your back fender a light of some sort?
No ,That is a reflector I pinstriped over and painted then removed the pinstiping ,Voila...Icthus reflector!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts