Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new to this site and fairly new to bikes (building), in general. I spent a lot of time riding as a kid. I recently purchased a 1997 VN750 frame/swing arm/wheels and may be getting the front end to start my first solo project. Spent some time on bikes with my dad and uncles (Caleb from CRO Customs out of Cali is one of my uncles - check him out, he builds some insane stuff) growing up, but nothing in great detail, so I only know VERY basics. I'm trying to figure out what kind of engine (among other things) I'd like to/be able to drop in this frame. Obviously, finding a Vulcan 750 would be simple enough, but I'd like to weigh my options. Any input would be great!

-Darien

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
A wankel rotary would be cool. Wicked high red line...if there even is one. A buddy years ago had a Mazda Rx7 5 speed and we had a ball sending the tach skyward. Always liked them since then. Odd lookin' things too.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
A wankel rotary would be cool. Wicked high red line...if there even is one. A buddy years ago had a Mazda Rx7 5 speed and we had a ball sending the tach skyward. Always liked them since then. Odd lookin' things too.

For those of you old enough to remember , Suzuki produced a wankel engined motorcycle some years back. I think Jay Leno has one in his "garage".

http://www.suzukicycles.org/RE5/RE5-Rotary.shtml

I think putting the motor from an RX-7 into a bike is a wonderful idea........

·
1,100 Posts
For those of you old enough to remember , Suzuki produced a wankel engined motorcycle some years back. I think Jay Leno has one in his "garage".

http://www.suzukicycles.org/RE5/RE5-Rotary.shtml

I think putting the motor from an RX-7 into a bike is a wonderful idea........
I can feel the sarcasm from here lol. Hey man it's different :). Not sayin' to use that exact engine but they are cool lookin':wow:.

For sure the RE5 was interesting even if it was kind of a dud, . Generated way too much heat, and wasn't as fast or any faster than the
750's of that age. Oh well...

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts

·
1,100 Posts
Wow how cool is that??? Looka that shorty exhaust... and everything else
Ok man. I saw the "..." at the end of the statement and could envision your eyes rollin' lol. I really didn't know how big the engine is. only that they look so small next to a V-8 or something. Thanks, very cool pic. AND...

"The rotary engine has two power strokes for every dead stroke and these engines can easily produce 300bhp, from a 1300cc!"

Sweeeeeeeet!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking mostly for something on Craigslist, eBay, etc...so I'm not trying to spend thousands on the engine alone. Any other suggestions?

·
1,100 Posts
Briggs and Stratton...? Lol sorry, had to.
Don't forget to post pictures of what you come up with. I'm always interested and many others on here are too. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Briggs and Stratton...? Lol sorry, had to.
Don't forget to post pictures of what you come up with. I'm always interested and many others on here are too. Good luck
haha, no problem. I expect to be made fun of for some of the questions i will have seeing as i only know how to ride and know very little about the mechanics, specifically. and i will be getting everything settled into my garage tomorrow and will absolutely start with some pictures.

·
1,100 Posts
haha, no problem. I expect to be made fun of for some of the questions i will have seeing as i only know how to ride and know very little about the mechanics, specifically. and i will be getting everything settled into my garage tomorrow and will absolutely start with some pictures.
That's great. I'm sure you'll do fine. I'd.love to do something like that but resources aren't available . Looking forward to seeing/reading the progress though. Take care.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I just saw a Kubota 2 cyl diesel on craigslist ......

·
1,100 Posts
Wolfie that gnome's crazy! 1st time I ever saw one. Gotta check out more on it. How the heck does it transfer power when the engine spins its own axis?:wow:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Heh...*weg*

Wolfie that gnome's crazy! 1st time I ever saw one. Gotta check out more on it. How the heck does it transfer power when the engine spins its own axis?
They were mostly used on WW1 aerocraft and the prop would bolt directly to engine...(gods, Im evil)...Im a WW1/preWW1 avation buff...check out :
http://www.oldrhinebeck.org (not too far from you...make the trip if you can) only 35 mins from me...

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=2&Itemid=107

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=3:ground-vehicles&Itemid=88&limitstart=10

And a diesel would be WAY cool Dragon !...imagine the MPG !!!!

·
1,100 Posts
Oh I got ya. In the video it looks like the prop and engine are spinning separately. Optical illusion. Thanks tho. Will check those out .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts