Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took apart my carbs due to it being over floated and got it all put back and everything seem to be fine. I took off the boots to the air box and put in k&n pods. I would be able to start my bike on full choke but I notice when it warm up before it would go to 4k rpm but now it only goes to 2k rpms, I'm guessing maybe it's due to not having enough pressure to hold the wire in place.

First question: Do riding with choke hurt the bike?

Second question: I would be able to ride the bike but when coming to a stop or slow down the bike would die (sometime it would stay on only with the choke on) most of the time it would die.(engine cut off)

Please help and much THANKS from the mile high city.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like your running lean, these bikes run lean anyway and switching to K&N's just adds more air. Check the color of your plugs to confirm it's running lean then turn your fuel screws out to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 on both carbs to see if it fixes it.

As for running with the choke, i don't see why it would hurt it. The choke is an enrichment circuit adding gas to the carbs so it shouldn't hurt anything.

Hopefully one of the more experienced members will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
11,831 Posts
Running with the choke won't "hurt" the bike, but it's an indication something's wrong....which should be fixed.

As suggested check your plugs, turn out your air screws AND reset your idle speed.

When you say you took off the boots to the airbox and put on pods, did you remove the system, or is that all you did?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running with the choke won't "hurt" the bike, but it's an indication something's wrong....which should be fixed.

As suggested check your plugs, turn out your air screws AND reset your idle speed.

When you say you took off the boots to the airbox and put on pods, did you remove the system, or is that all you did?
That's all I did everything else is still in place. Should I remove everything else ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your running lean, these bikes run lean anyway and switching to K&N's just adds more air. Check the color of your plugs to confirm it's running lean then turn your fuel screws out to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 on both carbs to see if it fixes it.

As for running with the choke, i don't see why it would hurt it. The choke is an enrichment circuit adding gas to the carbs so it shouldn't hurt anything.

Hopefully one of the more experienced members will chime in.

Sounds good, thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,831 Posts
That's all I did everything else is still in place. Should I remove everything else ?
Well I have not done what we call an "earshave" here, so not sure what exactly needs to be done, but I do know the air lines running to the reed valves suck air from the filter system, so now yours is not filtered. Ditto for the crankcase vent.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the installation of pod filters can chime in....

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Well I have not done what we call an "earshave" here, so not sure what exactly needs to be done, but I do know the air lines running to the reed valves suck air from the filter system, so now yours is not filtered. Ditto for the crankcase vent.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the installation of pod filters can chime in....
Need to block off the reed boxes.
Need a filter on the crankcase vent hose.

Removing the air box frees up a lot of space, makes carb service easier. The airbox is just riding along now.

Are the carb vents still running into one ear? Ears still in place? Vents need to be in calm, still air.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the metal plate off and try adjusting both screw but it seem as the bike wouldn't run without choke at all... I try closing it on both carbs and opening it *screw closer to me* Im still not able to run the bike without some choke. I still need to try to open the screw to see if the bike would die while coming to a stop or slow down while riding.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your idle circuit is messed up. Remove the carbs from the bike. Remove the idle screws, and spray some carb cleaner in there. Let it sit for a few minutes to loosen up the gunk, then blow it out with compressed air.

If you're not familiar with carbs, take a look at this schematic to get an idea of what I'm describing.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2003/vulcan-750-vn750-a19/carburetor-parts

You'll need to be careful with the idle screws (Part 16014 in the schematic). They have a spring to put tension on them, a small washer and a small o-ring in there. You want to remove all that stuff *before* you start spraying cleaner in there or blowing with compressed air.

After you're finished cleaning and you go to put the carbs back together, you want to screw the idle screws all the way in (gently--they're brass and very delicate), and then count the number of turns as you loosen them. You probably want to start with 2 1/4 turns out or so.

GDI

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your idle circuit is messed up. Remove the carbs from the bike. Remove the idle screws, and spray some carb cleaner in there. Let it sit for a few minutes to loosen up the gunk, then blow it out with compressed air.

If you're not familiar with carbs, take a look at this schematic to get an idea of what I'm describing.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2003/vulcan-750-vn750-a19/carburetor-parts

You'll need to be careful with the idle screws (Part 16014 in the schematic). They have a spring to put tension on them, a small washer and a small o-ring in there. You want to remove all that stuff *before* you start spraying cleaner in there or blowing with compressed air.

After you're finished cleaning and you go to put the carbs back together, you want to screw the idle screws all the way in (gently--they're brass and very delicate), and then count the number of turns as you loosen them. You probably want to start with 2 1/4 turns out or so.

GDI

=/ Hate taking that carb out, I'm at the point of just running the bike with choke and ignore the problem.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
=/ Hate taking that carb out, I'm at the point of just running the bike with choke and ignore the problem.
Could work, until the dirt clogs the choke circuit, then it won't run or start. Seafoam can't help if the gas doesn't flow through.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Rusty tank ? . 0:)

WilliamTech3 :wink2:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Rusty Tank ? 0:) . :carryflag

WilliamTech3 :smile2:

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Ah, but it's such a wonderful feeling to know that the carbs are thoroughly clean and the machine is running like it ought to. Oh such response!
The remedy is to shrug the shoulders, slow down as though one had all the time in the world and.... "Endeavour to persevere!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts