Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm working on this 1993 Vulcan 750 that I purchased last week and noticed that when the bike is running, the choke does not seem to make any difference in the idle.

Can you please look at the YouTube video that I uploaded showing what is happening and help me figure out if the choke is just not working at all or if this is normal for it to not have any impact on the idle once the bike is running?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
well, thats seems to a lotta nuttin..

on mine, when I put choke on, I get a definate change in engine rpm/attitude (will even cause stumble/stall in right conditions).

check the cable, see if its moving the linkages on the carbs.

also, just as a reminder, its not a 'choke' (even tho they call it that), in an enrichening system. it does not have a choke plate on the bike, but instead opens up a couple passages in the carb to allow more fuel and air in at idle

·
Registered
9,856 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,441 Posts
Yes if idle is too high it won't idle up with choke

Reactions: rad4u2

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,441 Posts
Maybe the choke is stuck on? (Thus the high idle and why it didn't change when you turn down the choke lever)
Yup i mentioned that in his other thread

Reactions: rad4u2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Starting Without & With Jumper Cables...

Hi,

Can anyone tell (other than the choke not working) why the bike will not start without jumping cables?

You can preview this video showing where we tried starting it without and with jumping cables:

Thank you!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,441 Posts
Dead battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike Not Starting

Hi,

Can anyone tell what might be the cause of the bike not starting by looking at this video? (apparently the choke does not work but the bike kicks over most of the time)

1993 Vulcan 750

Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the battery is supposedly new from the person I purchase it from but apparently it must be dead because the jumper cables helps it start up fairly quickly in most attempts. Does the starter and everything else sound ok though?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
Was the car you jumped the battery from running?

Did you smell gas?

Have you checked for spark at the spark plug?

Was the fuel tap on off?

Sorry, but hard to tell what's going on other than it sound like the starter is turning the motor over....

You have two other threads all dealing with your starting issues. Only one thread was needed here....so I merged them all.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,441 Posts
Is it flooded cause the choke is stuck on?these bikes have a fuel enrichener which gives more fuel instead of restricting air like a traditional one does

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was the car you jumped the battery from running?

Did you smell gas?

Have you checked for spark at the spark plug?

Was the fuel tap on off?

Sorry, but hard to tell what's going on other than it sound like the starter is turning the motor over....

You have two other threads all dealing with your starting issues. Only one thread was needed here....so I merged them all.
Hi and thank you for replying.

The car was running when I jump started it.

I can't tell if the choke is working or not. I also have a 1982 Yamaha Maxim and when I turn the choke up you can definitely hear the idle change and even bog down if turned up enough. But on the 93 Kawasaki it doesn't change the idle at all which is why I'm wondering if:
1. Is that normal for a Kawasaki or does it appear to be not working?
2. If it is broken, would that also contribute to the bike not starting on its own and needing a jump start from the car or could it be a combination of a weak battery along with a broken choke?
3. Does the starter sound OK?

I have a new DOUBLE LINE IGNITION COIL along with the wires and plug caps that just came in today for it. Hoping that along with some new plugs, a choke cable and a new battery will help with the starting issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it flooded cause the choke is stuck on?these bikes have a fuel enrichener which gives more fuel instead of restricting air like a traditional one does
Hi and thank you for your reply.

That's just it. This is my first time owning a Kawasaki and to me it seems like the choke cable isn't even working. I did not smell any gas either which may be an indication that the choke is not working.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,441 Posts
You can damage your electrical system running the car while jumping a bike. A car puts out too many amps while charging. You could fry stuff doing this.
Perhaps it won't start now because of this.....
A possibility:(

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
You can damage your electrical system running the car while jumping a bike. A car puts out too many amps while charging. You could fry stuff doing this.
Hopefully that's not the case. Fingers crossed, right?

Check for spark on both cylinders to make sure.

While you've got a plug out, check for liquid fuel on the plug (right after cranking the starter), just for diagnosis assistance.

Have you been able to trace the choke cable to the lever it actuates on the carb? Is there movement on the carb when you move the cable?

·
I'm a rider
965 Posts
Wait, what? That's not how electrical works. Amperage is the flow rate of the electrons that the LOAD is drawing. You cannot put out any more amps than the load demands. Batteries have a load potential measured in CCA. Up to 230 cranking amps on many car batteries. You won't use any more of them than is needed.

Alternator voltage is 14 which is perfect.

To the OP: If you have a worn starter or weak relay that has resistance and is drawing a higher load, that will need to be fixed to avoid overdrawing current and frying something. If the bike doesn't start on a fresh MC battery without the jump you need to find the source of the heavy load bringing the battery voltage down lower than the electrical system can use to start the bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
Wait, what? That's not how electrical works. Amperage is the flow rate of the electrons that the LOAD is drawing. You cannot put out any more amps than the load demands. Batteries have a load potential measured in CCA. Up to 230 cranking amps on many car batteries. You won't use any more of them than is needed.

Alternator voltage is 14 which is perfect.
Not what I've heard or ever read....it always says not to start the car, or have it running:
Can You Jump Start A Motorcycle With A Car? ? Motorbike License.com

http://www.burlingtonharleyriders.org/safety/pdf/jump starting a motorcycle.pdf

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA

Direct quote from above^:
"jumped my 78 Honda CB750 from my running Toyota Celica back in the early eighties. Not quite sure I did anything wrong, but I did fry the voltage rectifier and melted a portion of the wiring harness."

But I'm sure I'd be willing to take the chance because you say it's OK...;)

·
I'm a rider
965 Posts
First link sounds like a 14 yr old wrote it with no understanding of electricity. Didn't bother clicking the rest. I'm an EE so I don't much read what 1 person on a message board writes in opinion of a single experience with them not knowing why it even happened. Electricity is not variable to opinion. It's mathematically correct.

Alternator voltage - Stator voltage. Same.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.