Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out what causes our bikes to make a chirping sound at around 3k on the tachometer? I have seen posts in here before, but I don't think I ever heard why it does it.

Thanks!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Little birdy flying close:)
No really I don't have a noise like that, do you have any mods on the bike?
Windsheld or anyting that can create a wind noise?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think some of the (to me more like whistling) sounds I hear is air going through (what Ron Ayers refers to as) the gas tank covers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 06 makes the same noise. My old Z1 did the same thing. I'm guessing that it has something to do with harmonics. When the motor spins at a certain rpm it produces that sound. No worries though.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No windshield, no modifications. The bike has always done that since I bought it (used). It is odd in that the ONLY time I hear it is when cruising at 3000 RPM. No matter what gear, no matter what speed. At first, I thought it may be an exhaust leak at the header. Changed crush gaskets- no difference. You may be right- it is something in the design of the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
No windshield, no modifications. The bike has always done that since I bought it (used). It is odd in that the ONLY time I hear it is when cruising at 3000 RPM. No matter what gear, no matter what speed. At first, I thought it may be an exhaust leak at the header. Changed crush gaskets- no difference. You may be right- it is something in the design of the engine.
You might check the tachometer, too, and just make everything's okay there. Usually that kind of chirping can get worse at higher rpms, but there may be a glitch that's causing you to hear it at 3K.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
My '04 makes a similar chirping sound at about 3K RPM. I thought it was just my bike. The sound seems to be related engine temperature. It doesn't make the sound until the temp guage moves above the lower white line into the normal range. On cold days (~40 degrees) I could ride 10 miles with no chirping, then it would start when the engine temp finally climbed out of the "cold zone", but only at ~ 3K RPM. My thought is that it is something in the thermostat vibrating as it opens. I haven't worried too much about it since the temp guage never goes above the midpoint. I do have some concern that, if it is the thermostat making the noise, it may be an indication of a future failure.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Could be the heat sheld on the exhaust. Mine made a chirping type noise untill I shifted them, I found it by riding and putting my foot on the sheld and it went away.
Dont put your foot on the pipe just the heat sheld.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come to think of it, the noise does seem to be audible when the bike heats up. Riding in cooler temps and when the bike has not warmed up all the way I have not heard the 'birdie'.

I have been all over my bike (while sitting still) trying to find potential vibration places. I moved cables and wrapped others with rubber hoses with no luck. I will try to hold my foot on the heat shields to see if any luck there. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
mine did the same thing when i first got it. I found it to be the heat shield on left side. Since i have changed exhaust no more chirping.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Slim. I'll give it a check when I get a chance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a similar noise on my bike. I finally figured out that it was the heat shield on the right hand pipe. Since noticing it, when I would hear it, and put my foot on the heat shield it would go away. I've been meaning to see what I need to tighten up to make it go away, but the shield rusted thru by the front bracket, and since then the noise has gone away completely.

On a related note, anyone know if I can get just the heat shield, or if I need to get a whole new right hand pipe? If I need to replace the exhaust, what is a good aftermarket exhaust system that's not too loud? (I don't subscribe to the loud pipes save lives theory)

-MikeS

·
Registered
415 Posts
If I need to replace the exhaust, what is a good aftermarket exhaust system that's not too loud? (I don't subscribe to the loud pipes save lives theory)

-MikeS

Neither do I. In fact I subscribe to the opposite. When I ride my bike is quiet enough I can use my hearing as a sense for defense. When riding down a local road the other day I even heard the spring peepers peeping.

I will have to look for them but I saw stats somewhere that showed a larger percentage of bikers involved in accidents HAD loud pipes. I know stats can be twisted to show what you want but there have to be numbers somewhere to back it up.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
People here go both ways on this topic. But, keep an ear to the ground and keep asking about a set of stock pipes as there are always folks here that are putting on cruizers or jardines and will part with their stock setup.

My mufflers (one of them) was broken so I replaced just the mufflers with dynas off of ebay. I got them for $41 including shipping. Had to build my own mounts but that took me about 30 minutes. They sound great, just barely louder than the stock set up, but nice and throaty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts