Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have this annoying metallic high pitched chirping sound(like a cricket) when I am cruising at 3000 rpm's under a light load. Noticed it for the first time when a put on a windshield and stock exhaust last fall. Never makes the noise when the engine is cold or over or under 3K grand and I can't duplicate it it nuetral. Any ideas?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Sounds like a exhaust clamp loose. Had the same sound from mine, it was the heatsheld clamp. easy to fix

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Had same noise on my 95...( also around 3k RPM ) turned out that when I had muffler off of right side and put it back on, I had pushed it on "all" the way while re-installing... things started making the noise.. pulled muffler back about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to give clearence and the "chirp" went away.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Hmm... mine started doing the same thing Thursday. Like a cricket. Coincidence?

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Chirping....I have been listening to mine do it for the past year. I have posted multiple time as to what may be causing it and the reply has been the same from VROC gearheads; get used to it- its normal. I guess it is a normal noise produced around 3000 rpms on our bikes. Much like the gas tank whistle.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tightened every clamp I could find and the sound was a lot more intermttent.When I degoated the sound went away. It might even be the clamps themselves.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Chirping II

I am not sure if this is realy a fix, but I tried it and have yet to hear it. I was doing some work on the bike near the radiator and accidentally bumpted the chutch cable running down the left side of the frame where the adjuster threads are and heard the familiar pitch of the "chirp". Looking closer, I noticed where the adjusting nut rides on the down-member of the frame and vibrates against it- just above the shifter. I grabbed a piece of rubber hose and cut it to the same length as the adjusting bolt, slit it down the middle and slid it over the cable. Using a zip strip, I secured it in place. I have had the bike out several times, warmed up, and held the RPM's @ 3k traveling down the road with no chirping. We'll see if I got lucky.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Chirping II

Sorry guys; I lied.
I was out on the bike this evening and my friend the bird was with me. I though I had it whooped, but it reared its annoying head. Back to the drawing board....

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
BSkaggs - I decided to wait and see what your result was. I had the chirp for a grand total of 7 miles a couple of weeks ago. It never returned. I've never had a gas tank whistle.

There have been many times that I THOUGHT I found a noise, but that wasn't it. I've got two noises right now, a rattle sound coming from behind the headlight somewhere, and the trunk rattle. Not sure about the trunk, I can reach back and pull the lid tight, and the sound goes away. I fixed the lock when I bought it, so that's not it. I put some felt where the lid contacts the rest of the trunk, so that the lock is tight, so that ain't it either. Maybe the felt is compressed, and I need to replace it. WHo knows. Oh, is there any way to get rid of the sound of the drilled front brake rotors? Kind of sounds like a chain, which defeats the "cool" sound of the shaft...

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Noises....

Oh yeh, I forgot about the front brake noise. Who knows how to fix that one. But- I had a rattle coming from the back of the bike I though to be my tool kit/box. Turned out to be my helmet lock was loose and rattling. The phillips screw backed out slightly on BOTH. You have to unlock them to get to the phillips head, but give it a shot- who knows?

One thing I did discover on how to make our bikes' engine noises go away; That is to ride behind a Harley. :p

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
BSkaggs513 said:
One thing I did discover on how to make our bikes' engine noises go away; That is to ride behind a Harley. :p
LOL !! I get a kick out of how much them things shake when sitting at a red light or something. Ya'd think there was an earthquake goin' on !!

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Marbled and Loving IT!!!!

I marbled my bike today. Made a HUGE difference! I only get a slight pop from the rear cyl. when sudden off the gas. I may consider the carb screws next. One thing I don't want to do is sacrafice reliability for silence. Any help or cautions anyone can give about carb adjustment? I read other posts here about how to do it. One question is; are the lead-covered screws actually on the side of the carbs instead of the bottom as I have read? Looks like the same thing, but much easier to get to. The carbs are Kleins.
Thanks y'all.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I had a noise around 4500 rpms, one of the clamp on my V&H heatshields broke loose........right now I have a clamp around the whole thing until I can figure out how to fix it.......any suggestions???

·
Geek
872 Posts
There are pictures in the gallery on the location of the a/f screw covers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts