Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need recommendations for a child's helmet. It's for my daughter, who is 9, and I'd like to avoid driving my filthy, bacteria-ridden car when I'm alone with her. Currently, I take her around my neighborhood, sans helmet, at a top speed of 15, But she has expressed interest in going faster and further.

·
Geek
872 Posts
For you ? What ever. For her, the best you can get. DOT approved, face shield. Be a good example, where one yourself.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What? That's crazy. I don't want to get one for her, but the law says I hafta. I'd get her a bicycle helmet, but I really don't want to pay more then 15, 20 bucks tops. I mean, it's not like I can't have another. Kids are a renewable resource. If you could only fast forward past the diapers.
:p

·
Registered
699 Posts
helmets come in extra small...try one of those, bell for example

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks MadCity, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I guess what I really need to do is take her to the local Kaw shop and see what fits her.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Check a few of the Walmart Super Centers also. A few of them have started carrying Bell Helmets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
First off, Don't go cheap on you baby! Secondly, don't let her ride until she can ride one herself..ie 20 years old...[dismount soap box]

Take her to a bike shop and try on a few to get the size. Then go to a place online and get a DOT and SNELL full face helmet. You don't have to spend a lot to get the best protection. But you do want the best protection.

Try: http://www.NewEnough.com

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
cegodsey, I bought my daughter an adult XS helmet when I got my VN about a year ago. She wore it once on a 20 min ride. 6 months later I went to take her for a ride and the helmet didn't fit anymore. I'd be willing to part with it for 1/2 price - since it's just sitting on a shelf. It's a nice looking full face helmet, dot and snell approved. I forget the manufacturer.

But, if you're interested, I'll snap some pics of it tonight and come up with a price. So just let me know.

Mark

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
cegodsey said:
I mean, it's not like I can't have another. Kids are a renewable resource.
Hmm, better hope she doesn't get the same idea about a dad.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark - Hold off on pics. I've got to have money first, so I figured I'd be miles ahead if I could get recommends now

Phil - She's a disabled kid, so she'll never be able to ride on her own. I could say my kid is half-brained like me, but she doesn't really have that much. The neurologist told us to institutionalize her, but we refused. Good thing, 'cause she's been learning, and can walk and talk, and do all the things they said she'd never do. But I really doubt she'll ever have the ability to drive anything - with all the decisions that are required.

Hyper - I think you're the only one that caught any of that.

Dianna - The two WalMart's down this way only have adult size helmets. But they are Bell helmets. I believe WalMart is where Norsseman bought his.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
PhilipLawlor said:
Take her to a bike shop and try on a few to get the size. Then go to a place online and get a DOT and SNELL full face helmet.
Jeesh, speaking of soap box, if you go to a store and take advantage of their salespeople and/or their inventory you owe it to them to purchase there. Like they are in the business of providing a dress-up room stocked with merchandise?

As far as helmets go, I bought my 9 y/o son a Fulmer AFJ4 from a local shop. It's full face with a flip up visor. He seems to really like and is able to fully don and adjust it himself.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think I'd say owe, it's more like a common courtesy.

·
Geek
872 Posts
That's why I didn't get my wife her own helmet. Her head keeps getting bigger and bigger....

·
Registered
55 Posts
RepairmanSki- I just bought a $75 pair of gloves from the suzuki dealer in stamford over the weekend, i'm sure i could have gotten them for less online...

cegodsey - sorry, i just can't fathom taking my 3 yr old on my bike even years from now, knowing that i took 4 spills riding with neighbors before i was 10. 3 were on dirt so mom never found out, but one was on the street...she found out about that one. Razburys all up my arm, leg and face. Since i was on the handlebars (dumb huh!) I flew face first to the pavement. A helmet would have saved many "you so are stupid!" comments from mom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts