Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the Vulcan is coming towards the time when she hits the road, MOT done, serviced, switch added for the fan, carbs balanced, major clean up etc, my mate removed an exhaust yesterday and its rusted through big time. It's wearing sportster pipes, which I don't like anyway. I've looked at every type of muffler going, within budget, and they're too skinny, too short or just offensive to look at. I'm gonna order a pair of cherry Bombs at 3.5" diameter which will fill the heat shields and hopefully work.
Tool Office supplies Font Cylinder Auto part

They're car silencers that a lot of lads in the UK fitted to rally & stock cars and show cars. Anyone used them?

Registered
The Cherry Bomb muffler I am experienced with did not look like that. In the 70's I used them and they were all red. They were just a fiberglass packed muffler. At the time that meant a open tube, perforated with small holes (maybe 3/8") surrounded by fiberglass packing. Think the pink insulation type of fiberglass. They did not really quiet the car much but over time the fiberglass would settle and burn out. You could tell when the "glass" was gone. They were some of the original "glass paks" from the 60's and 70's but now it looks like they added a nice chrome end. They did not have any baffles back then.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Cherry Bomb muffler I am experienced with did not look like that. In the 70's I used them and they were all red. They were just a fiberglass packed muffler. At the time that meant a open tube, perforated with small holes (maybe 3/8") surrounded by fiberglass packing. Think the pink insulation type of fiberglass. They did not really quiet the car much but over time the fiberglass would settle and burn out. You could tell when the "glass" was gone. They were some of the original "glass paks" from the 60's and 70's but now it looks like they added a nice chrome end. They did not have any baffles back then.
The ones I remember from the 80's were red fiberglass. Now they're steel with a stainless tip and they've added black & full stainless versions. This is the bore, and in the UK they're apparently Street legal.
Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Teleconverter Lens

I'm gonna check the sizings today and see how they sit, if all looks good I'm ordering a pair. I'm thinking I've also got the option of adding a slash cut cover to the outlet if they look "wrong".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Change of plan, slightly. The 3 1/2" diameter is slightly big, it has 3" Sportster pipes on. Also too long and would have been very close to reaching the outer of the tyre, I didn't want that. I've found the screamer, 3" diameter but shorter (18 1/4" vs 22 1/2") They come in 3 x sizes of inlet, ones a 1 5/8" which is about size on size of the collector box outlets, and if I cut 2" off the left joint and slide the right back by about 1 1/2" the end points should work.
Bottle Drink Cylinder Font Office supplies

Only thing is they only come in red so they'll need painting and the right heat shield may need extending. On a plus they have a hanger.

Registered
Me too I would love to see them when ur finished

Registered
Many years ago, I used two 'cherry bomb' style mufflers clamped to the headers on my VN. Good tone when holding a steady throttle, but WOT was too loud for me.
Font Gas Rectangle Cylinder Screenshot

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordered a pair today, the company is brilliant. They're gonna finish them in black and throw the stickers in the box so if I want to leave them on I won't have one facing out and the other facing the swing arm.

Registered
Ordered a pair today, the company is brilliant. They're gonna finish them in black and throw the stickers in the box so if I want to leave them on I won't have one facing out and the other facing the swing arm.
Share some pics when they come in and you get them mounted up.

I got these in for my 83 Goldwing. Finish is excellent. Should sound great. I got tired of being the quietest bike on rides 馃ぃ. Delkevic stainless were my first choice until they doubled in price.

Font Office supplies Titanium Auto part Cylinder

Premium Member
Agree, please share pics when available. I currently have the stock mufflers but they鈥檙e hollowed out. Love the sound but the welds cracked, and after my last little meeting with the pavement, my repair has started to feel loose.
I was considering the Sportster mufflers, but I鈥檓 curious how these will look.

Premium Member
For those interested in cheap, slightly used HD mufflers, there are usually several sets here as well as a ton of other motorcycle related stuff: Listings - shopgoodwill.com

Registered
Definitely shopgoodwill.com , you can catch some really nice deals. I going to pick up a pair of stock HD Glide mufflers and cut them into exhaust tips for my mulletmobile, around 20 bucks.

FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
Agree, please share pics when available. I currently have the stock mufflers but they鈥檙e hollowed out. Love the sound but the welds cracked, and after my last little meeting with the pavement, my repair has started to feel loose.
I was considering the Sportster mufflers, but I鈥檓 curious how these will look.
I have a pair of hollow ones on Melissa Fayhe but she's buried in my storage unit. I actually just picked up a pair today for $30

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cobbled together for a dry run. Sound pretty nice. Not over loud but they have a nice "rumble" tone. My mate's taking them to his mate tomorrow and getting the inlets swaged out to fit the collector box. They're around 2mm too small. I'll put pictures up once they're fitted properly and the heat shields are sorted.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Grumpy Old Man
Look鈥榠n good so far. I鈥檓 thinking they are going to look really cool. Mounting to the hanger brackets look like a bit of a challenge, but I have no doubts that you will figure it out. They are the perfect length and diameter, good job 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look鈥榠n good so far. I鈥檓 thinking they are going to look really cool. Mounting to the hanger brackets look like a bit of a challenge, but I have no doubts that you will figure it out. They are the perfect length and diameter, good job 馃憤
Thanks, she's getting there. The pipes gonna hopefully be pretty tight once it's swaged, and a bit of cement should hold them reasonably rigid. Thinking a brace from the rear peg hanger should be enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts