Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any secret methods or devices to checking weather while out on long range missions?
I know i can use hotel computers (if i am in a hotel) but if they don't have one available, does that mean i need a laptop? What if they don't have wi fi?
I usually plan ahead with forecast but was wondering what works.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
If you have a gps...there is a traffic/weather feature option on some models. If you have a Zumo GPS with the XM radio option or certain XM radio recievers, the weather and traffic offered there is pretty cool. Some you pay a bit more for along with the regular XM subscription.

My GPS ...with the XM traffic/weather... will "warn" me if I am heading into a city that is having thunderstorms, so I can pull over and dig out my rain gear before I get in to it. Or warn me of traffic issues so I can re-route.

Some GPS units will even give you Nex/rad weather radar screens....cool for sure.

It has been awhile since I have used these features, but I imagine if you check around you can find either a GPS or a Sirus/XM unit that will give you weather updates while on the road. I would guess only the GPS units that actually know where you are will give you local forcasts without searching.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Cell phone weather app...??? I get radar & weather on my cell... Not the best but...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I have an samsung epic 4g cell. it does it all. cell phone, doppler radar, messaging, pic mail, video conference with other phones that are enabled, 5mp camera that is better than my 10 mp canon. mp3 player I bluetooth to my car stereo and the apps are endless. I installed a flashlight, a level, I just installed a police scanner that is amazing, listened to it through my car stereo the hole way home tonight cause the roads are terrible and there were wrecks everywhere, it can pick up about any city or county scanners. gives me weather alerts and browsing and posting on the net is very easy and quick even with the wifi off on it, with it on its quicker than my pc at home but only a 4 inch screen, I highly reccomend it!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im gonna check on that cell phone thing. I wonder if i would get a signal out in the sticks though...i also like the radar on the gps. I like watching the storms move so i can move around them if possible.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
gps and navigation on my cell is awesome too. I have sprint and did not have service where I work in the hills, but with the android phone it as full service there, there is a coverage map on sprints site, it doesnt show service in that area but these newer phones have a lot larger range.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Seriously though, you don't even need a weather app on your phone if it gets internet - and most do. I just go to NOAA on my phone and check it.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
That's called an "Indian Weather Rock" (Well that's what my Great-Grand Parents said)

Have you considered packing your saddlebags with one of these?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts