Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to check air pressure on the rear tire. There is very little room from the valve stem to the center wheel hub for most gauges and not enough room for most air compressor hose fittings. The front wheel has a little more room and is doable with standard equipment. I can get it done of I bend the valve stem, but I'm afraid this may eventually cause a break and air leak from the stem. Is there an air gauge out there made for or that will work on the rear wheel to avoid potential damage to rubber of the stem. Any tips out there.? Thanks.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I have a gauge atatched to a rubber hose on one end and a valve stem chuck on the other...it gets into very tight spots while letting you read it away from the tire.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The air gauge that came with my VN750 fits just fine (old fashion stick tire gauge version). However I always use my electronic tire gauage, which requires bending the air valve stem to get it to fit (as you described). I don't force the stem into a too sharp of an initial angle, and once the stem is inserted in the gauge, there is enough room for me to straighten the stem back out to get the reading. There seems to be no more air lost than with this method, than with the gauge that fits properly.

I use the same process when adding air with my bicycle pump (a standard Joe Blow model); bend the stem slightly and gently to get the air hose connected, then straight it back out to during inflation. Tire valve stems should be replaced anytime the tire is serviced (for any vehicle), so I'm not worried about premature failure due to this procedure.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I have a 90 degree air gauge, and air fill fitting.

Most people switch the valve stems to metal, 90 degree pieces. (You want to use metal if you use these otherwise they catch wind at speed and crack/leak.)

And not long ago someone post here about 90 degree extensions that attach on the existing stems for checking and filling.

Valve Extensions Link in here.

·
2,519 Posts
I got my air pressure gauge at Advance Auto, they have one with a right angle on the end made for this.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I use an EZ Air tire gauge:

which I got here for $17.50.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Great price, Ebay had them for 3 to 30 dollars more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts