Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder to check your tires before each ride. Here is a shot of my last tire:

I had less than 200 miles on that new tire. While it's annoying to have to put a new tire on so quickly, there was no way I was going to ride on that thing after that kind of damage. It looks like the nail was only in the tread part of the tire, but I'm kind of paranoid that way.

Good luck and happy riding.

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
While it is a good idea to replace that tire, I would at least keep it to use as a spare if the new tire gets even worse damage. The edge of the tire is pretty thick, so it should still be just fine to use.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If it hold air, it would be just fine to keep riding on it. It is only in the rubber part it looks by the picture. I would say it did not pucture the cords at all, this nail in the side would be no different than a slice in the tire.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
While it sucks that this happened, I think you did the right thing by replacing the tire. You only have two tires and your life literally depends on them when you ride. Especially if you ride hard/fast. I had a puncture on my rear tire when I had only a few hundred miles on the bike. I plugged it, rode on it for a few days as I thought about what to do, and then took it to Competition Cycle Center and had them replace the tire. Cost me almost $200 and I was bummed. But I ride on the highway constantly and I wasn't going to ride on a plugged tire for long. Hope this doesn't happen again to any of us.

When I replace the tires next time (due to wear, not puncture I hope!) I'm going to use Ride-On Tire Protector. Read many a post on this stuff and it sounds worth it. Don't know that it would have helped you in this circumstance, but if the nail pierced through the Ride-On would have prevented you from running flat.

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Yeah, all in all tires are cheap and my life is worth it.

I never thought anything about my tires except "did they hold air" before I came to this site. I was still running on my 1992 stockers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to scope out the Ride-On Tire Protector - I hadn't seen that yet.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2 to Hyper and wey44att. That nail only went thru solid rubber. No where near the cords. It`s still as sound as a brand new tire. When you change a worn out tire, take the carcase and cut through it in cross section, and you can see how much rubber there is before you get to the actual construction cords.

EDIT: Link www.ride-on.com

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I put over 5K on a tire that was plugged--never thought about it. I plugged it myself and knew it was done right. A plug properly installed in a tire that only has nail hole damage will last. Only tires that have been severly cut or had other major damage would not be rideable. Each person has to ride in their confort zone so no one is wrong in this discussion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wanna know where the hell all this road hardware is coming from?!?! In my three years of driving and riding I've had about 4 different screws or nails lodged somewhere in my tires!

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Roofers are notorious for dropping roofing nails when hauling off the old shingles. Not sure where the rest of it comes from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts