Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was watchin my wife ride today while following her. i noticed the bike is a bit on the tall side for her. so im lookin for a CHEAP way to lower the bike down. not really sure what way to go on this one, as everything ive found is... well... not cheap lol. if anyone has any ideas, im all ears (obviously, i mean eyes, not ears lol) couldnt resist that one!

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I just sit on mine and it drops a couple inches.

Only options are to find a pair of lowered shocks or make struts. You'll want a spring seat if making a hard tail. I guess you could fashion a bracket to lower stock shock.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I made this brackets. Got the idea from another member (BMAN). And I slid the forks up about 2 in. The seat is about 26 in. high.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Cheapest way I know is to just lower the seat. Pull the cover off, grab an electric knife and carve off a few inches, narrowing the sides as much you can. Recover the seat with black vinyl from a fabric store (you'll only need less than a yard -about 10 bucks) and add two fifty for the staples to put it back on, (if you own a staple gun)

The next cheapest is to build some shorter struts to replace the stock shocks (which are 12.5 inches eye to eye)

Or, keep feeding her doughnuts untill she gets heavy enough to compress the stock suspension.

Your call .....

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I would think what niterider did would be hard to beat, that would keep the bike lower even without extra weight, makin it easier to get on & off... Of course you could go the extra mile and do the seat also, like KM said...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
2,527 Posts
lookin for a CHEAP way to lower the bike down.
Just let some air out of the tires, lol
I'd try a seat mod with some gel pads, it will be more comfortable in the long run too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Niterider has the plan. :notworthy Stock ride, good handling. I ran a set on a Z-1 and a CB750 for yrs. The farther back you move the lower mount the lower the bike.
Or you could lengthen the swing arm like i did, just a little more work. I moved it back 3" and took some out of the set as well. This is my daughter 5'3", the sets 26" without any weight on it. Good luck.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
find a cheap set of suzuki savage 650(or s40)shocks and a two piece sportster seat.a few on ebay now

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea used set of progressive shocks, and new bushings is the way i went. I feel like changing the angle of the suspension will change the ride (besides height) Just a feeling, no actual proof on this.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
also relocate the r&r,as the swingarm can hit it when lowered

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I just found a couple sets of savage 650 shocks on ebay. lets wait and see if I get them.

SOLTZ: showed the pic to the wife and her jaw dropped. too bad I'm not handy enough to do that much modification lol. that looks SWEET!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yeah... is there any other modification that needs done with the savage 650 shocks or are they just "plug and play"?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
I think they just mount up.if anything the bushings may need to be taken from the vulcans shocks and pressed bingo the savage shocks but I think the ones on it work fine
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Chopem
25 Posts
Cheapest way is to find some dom tubeing around 7/8 is fine. Youll need
a decent wall. Remove stock shock and pull a measurement on how
low you want to go. Real simple to cut 4your small end peices around an 1/25 inches long place
At both ends of you strut tube. Maybe six inches long for slammed look.
Weld the end caps on so as to slide them over the original shock support nipple.
8 large diameter washers will allow the regular nut to bolt up cleanly. Paint black or
Have chromed. Lowering complete

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Cheapest way is to find some dom tubeing around 7/8 is fine. Youll need
a decent wall. Remove stock shock and pull a measurement on how
low you want to go. Real simple to cut 4your small end peices around an 1/25 inches long place
At both ends of you strut tube. Maybe six inches long for slammed look.
Weld the end caps on so as to slide them over the original shock support nipple.
8 large diameter washers will allow the regular nut to bolt up cleanly. Paint black or
Have chromed. Lowering complete
can we say back killer... I lowered mine even cheaper than you did Baby Boy... the lowering brackets like posted on the first page cost me nothing to build. A lot of welding shops through out piece of metal that small, I just scourged the local welding shop scrap bin for the metal. I even tried to pay the guy, but he refused saying a couple of ounces of steel wasn't worth it... he even offered to let me use his band saw to cut the scraps to shape.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts