Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 VN750 stator recently went out at 27,000 miles. The dealer said the engine needed to be pulled out for stator replacement. He also recomended rectifier replacement at the same time. Price quote was $ 1,200.00 for parts and labor. I decided it was too much to spend plus who knows what new problems may arrise from an engine pull and replacement. I fixed the problem with a deep cycle boat battery $ 79.95 plus $ 10.00 for a plastic battery box. I strapped it on to my passenger seat and parallel wired it up to the bike battery. I now have plenty of 12 volt current to keep the bike running all day. I put a 1 amp charger on it overnight and I'm good to go for another ride up to six plus hours. This is the least expensive fix for stator or rectifier failure. Saved myself $ 1,100.00 and can still enjoy riding my bike everyday if need be. Try it , works great.:smiley_th

·
Banned
431 Posts
The title of your thread implies that you actually fixed something.... and I would be surprised if the rest of your electrical system lives another 1000 miles

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Were you aware of the mod that allows you to replace the stator without pulling the engine? Around $25 in material IIRC.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
plus if you wreck that boat battery is likely to kill you! just sayin!

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
My 2006 VN750 stator recently went out at 27,000 miles. The dealer said the engine needed to be pulled out for stator replacement. He also recomended rectifier replacement at the same time. Price quote was $ 1,200.00 for parts and labor. I decided it was too much to spend plus who knows what new problems may arrise from an engine pull and replacement.
My stator and RR went out at 28k. I fixed it. Looking back, it was a mistake as I should have used the repair money for a down payment on a new bike. Even with the new RR and stator, the electrical system never gave me the same level of service as it did when OE and still functional. Plus once let down, I could never trust the bike not to leave me stranded on a Sunday like it did before.

While I find your temporary fix to be unique, it is not a solution. Wish I thought of it when my stator died 500 miles from home though... I personally would start the search for a new bike if you don't want to do the stator replacement yourself. $1200 is just too damn much for a documented common failure that you might have to fix again in a few years.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
$20 engine case mod to allow a stator replacement w/o an engine pull:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839

Send the OEM stator to Tim Perrott for a rebuild. This guys rebuilds are better than the new stuff being sold.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-stators-rebuild-service_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem29ff9dc1a1QQitemZ180382187937QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Check out this link to the Shindigen/ mosfet regulator/rectifier too. You have a constant 14+ charging volts from idle speed on up.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32290153/Shindegen-Regulator-Rectifier-Install

You can do the stator r/r replacement yourself in a day for under $300.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My Stator went out as well, I chose the olhosscanada way, howerver i pulled my engine instead of taking a dremil tool to my side case, If you mess that up you will wish you paid the $1200. There is a post on here somewhere that tells of a side case mod.thats $400.00 If you are mechanicly inclined and have the tools pulling the engine is and replacing the stator is not that bad. Just be sure to ask someone if your not sure about something. There is a link to a free manual on one of my post "Headlight Problem just Got Worse" dated 03-25-2011 good luck. Just got my Mosfet wired up today. If you have a digital camera take alot of photos to assist you in putting it back together

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I see bulldogs point if your in a finacial position to do so, I wish the engine case mod and tim stator was around when mine went out but I had to do the engine pull. less than 300.00 and two days work about 14 hours total. if I see a stator cover on ebay cheap I would almost pick it up and do the mod if mine went out again and have a backup if i screw it up!

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I see bulldogs point if your in a finacial position to do so, I wish the engine case mod and tim stator was around when mine went out but I had to do the engine pull. less than 300.00 and two days work about 14 hours total. if I see a stator cover on ebay cheap I would almost pick it up and do the mod if mine went out again and have a backup if i screw it up!
I have a stator cover in my garage I was thinking of using for just this type of mod but ran out of time and motivation. Let me know if you want it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts