Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
If you go with cheaper soft bags, you will most likely need the support brackets... which make them not so cheap. But otherwise they'll sag and rub against the paint.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I was unfortunate enough to buy one of those sets. Your better off to spend the extra money and get Leather bags or semi hard bags. The 9pc. set is very thin and after a few uses sag like they are years old.

I paid $160 for a good set of saddleman leather bags that with just a little work would be just as good as hard bags. These bags are ridged enough so they are fine the way they are but I want to make them like quick mount bags instead of throw overs.

This set on my Warrior looks just as good on the 750 with bag supports.

Attachments

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
i have the 9 pc set the op posted.. they look nice for about a month.,.. then the loose their shape and start falling apart.. I have had mine three years, (only 1 actual riding season because of deployments) and i need a new set again,. my advice.. save your money and get a better set of bags.

·
Registered
555 Posts
willie & max saddle bags are great. I have them on all my cycles. those 7 piece and 9 piece sets you have to look close at them. Most of them are patch leather and look like crap.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Those 7 piece and 9 piece sets you have to look close at them. Most of them are patch leather and look like crap.
As my niece called them after I got mine..."They look like my grandmothers purse!" Nuff said. Hell I tried selling mine and no such luck. Not even old ladies looking for a new purse. haha

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey I was looking for some cheap ones too and ended up going the way of a sissy bar bag. Got it pretty cheap at jafrum.com for $50. Yeah, it's a $50 bag but I've had it for two years and still using it so I figure I've got my $$ out of it. Some of the clips that hold the duffle bag to the sissy bar bag broke really quick, but I've really only had need to use the sissy bar bag. It's good size and quite a bit of stuff. Plus I like the look better than saddle bags.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My experience with cheap bags is they start looking like crap after a weekend trip or two. I had one set that started splitting at the seams after a year, but my dad has had a similarly priced set for five years with no problems. They ain't pretty, but they still get the job done.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I bought a three piece set of that patch leather luggage off Kijiji from a local rider. Genuine Bison Leather the label said. Mine had no saddlebags, but was a backpack, a bag about the right size to be a shaving kit and another larger bag. I used the backpack as a backrest, and to carry my lunch and a change of clothes to work. The first time I tried to use the backpack straps, one of them pulled out the top of the bag. It had only been sewn into the seam with a single row of machine stitching. I ended up taking it to my favorite leather repair shop and basically had it rebuilt with all the straps reinforced.

I have finally learned that can`t afford to buy cheap tools or bike accessories.
They soon wear out or break and I have to go buy the quality of goods I should have gotten the first time.

My advice is to pass these cheap bags up.
Save up for a couple of paydays and buy some quality bags recommended by one of the previous posters on this thread. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Well, as they say, you get what you paid for. My ex wife bought a cheap set but heeded my advise....and mink oiled the crap out of them every month. Five years later they looked OK... But some of the stitching needed a fix and one of the straps broke.

At the same moment in time, my neighbor bought some expensive ones (Ladyhawk I think) and followed the advise about the mink oil too...

Well now , 14 years later and they still look new. Leather needs to be cared for, so whatever bags you buy, take the time to clean and condition them properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i HAVE no experience with those but I did recently buy a set at Rural King for $49 that I just trow over the seat and have fastened at the bottom of schock with plastic ties that are getting the job done with no hassle and they look good... they actually have a lot I bought some small ones I think 11x11

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts

saddelmen highwaymen (jumbo) $114 i made supports , i still want to move my signals i never really cared for the stock ones

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Ck out also the Motocentric-Mototrek Sport bags(same web site has them) like $106-- I have the Cortek bags which is identical to these. The straps that go under the seat are not so bulky to make the seat a hassel to put on -take off. No need for bag supports, as far as I can see. The double zipper opening on the main bags does sit directly under the turn sigs but I do not find that to be a problem either, the small pouches on the outside are great for smaller things. Mine holds their shape well even with nothing in them and sheds water ok, I did coat mine with Scotch Guard also. Can do pics if that would help!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts