Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found these filters on ebay... they look like they would fit just fine on the carbs. Not that sure about the height of them though... gotta go out and measure stuff and see if they're not too tall.

If they do, they seem like a cheap option for an ear shave.

What do you guys think?

Also, how the hell do I get that damn air box out of there?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Found these filters on ebay... they look like they would fit just fine on the carbs. Not that sure about the height of them though... gotta go out and measure stuff and see if they're not too tall.

If they do, they seem like a cheap option for an ear shave.

What do you guys think?

Also, how the hell do I get that damn air box out of there?
Easy airbox removal link:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16986&highlight=hacksaw+blade+hot

Several options mentioned.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
If Ron were here he would tell you to tuck tail and run... he tried and tried to get these filters to work and could never get it done. If we learned anything from Ron it is to stick with the K&N pods or go with one single filter.

·
Redneck on a rice burner
179 Posts
Slim,Let them learn on there own.They should read Ron's post about these first,but folks are going to do what they want.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't see any posts about them, I only saw that the recommended filters were the K&N ones, but never saw any mention to other filters at all.

Anyone got the link to his post about those filters or know why they wouldn't work? Sure they are the same filters?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I don't have the links of the top of my head... And I don't have the time to search for them.. just search "UNI Pod Filters" "Shirm's Ear shave" and such, you can also search "Lance328 Uni Filter"

Ron was the man when it came to these carbs and after spending way to many hours talking to him on the phone while doing my earshave, I never second guessed his word. As Wily would probably would agree with me...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Slim and Willy is refering to the EMGO pod filters.. look that part up... however Ron did like a particular type of unifilter that he had me buy.. not K&N...I understand your grief Willy but this site has gotten so big and newbies don't know to search for Lances posts jsut yet.. we must direct them.. and untill this site builds that sticky with the masters post in it.. there is just us to take up the slack.. inadequate as that may be... much love to master.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I had used the emgo pod filters, but when I jetted and shimmed my carb I had a problem. I got the jet kit from Ron and it just wasn't working as I expected. I made a call to Ron and we went to work to clear up the problem. He had me remove the air filters and run with out them. However, I did not remove the rubber gromet that attaches the filter to the carb. And the problem was still there. When I removed the rubber grummet from the carb, I could reach the high rpm's into the red line. Therefore; Ron concluded that the shape of the rubber grommet on the emgo filter is the problem.
He recommended the K&N part # rc-2340. I got mine from amozon.com. The filter grommet has a different shape and the carb gets a good air flow.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, but I'm currently working for free cause my school is retarded and it's mandatory so I can graduate, which makes me have almost no income... I have a few bucks I can spend on the bike, and I like to make the most out of them. I'm fed up with the air box so I was looking for cheap filters. I'll definitely get K&N filters when I get a job that pays.

As far as Ron's writings, well, I usually don't get very good results with the search option on the site and I've not read every post that Ron ever made on this group. The fact that I have a question about something he already wrote about doesn't mean that I'm questioning him or that I'm looking for a way to against him or anything like that at all!

I have been very respectful about his passing, been very respectful to his friends who mourn his loss... and I will always respect his knowledge and willingness to help people. I asked a question with no ill intent, so don't take it the wrong way. I understand that anything involving his work might be a sensitive subject, but I don't mean to disrespect him or his work by my questions, I'm just looking to learn.

Anyway, back on subject... If those filters are fine for the stock jetting but reduce air flow needed for bigger jets, that wouldn't be too much of a problem I think...

I read that if I have the stock exhaust I can use the stock jets with the ear shave. If someone can tell me if this is right or wrong, I'd appreciate it a lot.

If those cheap filters work fine with stock jets, then they should be ok to use in my case. If I'm not understanding this right, let me know.

·
Registered
900 Posts
no bro. you will have to rejet to do ear shave....go to you local auto parts store and look for .. hmmm.. say 40 mains and 140 piolts.. cheap belive me...2 each and a crank case filter and go with the ones I posted and then you can adjust from there... but it will get you on the road...probably will need the 42's and 142's at your sea level with stock exaust but it willget you in the ball park.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I was just reading an old thread where Ron/lance said he had send Crobins a copy of the earshave instructions with needed parts and part numbers. Maybe she still has it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and the 2 shims under the needle... lord... there is a write up on this bro...
lol I know, I've read the verses, but I've never known what jets to use for my near sea level altitude (around 137ft above I think) and my stock exhaust. I saw Gordon mention a few times that if you keep the stock exhaust you didn't need to rejet, so that's why I was asking about that.

I did ask Ron about a month ago, but I was unlucky and never got a reply from him. Then I asked on the forum but no one had a suggestion.

I have no idea where to get jets locally... gonna have to ask around.

·
Registered
900 Posts
yeah if your doing the shave you have to rejet.. if your changing out your exaust only and not doing an ear shave.. then no rejet is need... try Auto zone or napa.. msot places will have jets.. but if your willing to wait a week for them then get them from PJ Motorsports.. thos guys rock!... these are the ones I got from them.
1 Mikuni Needle Shims Item# Price: 009-396 (comes in a pack of 12)
> $6.95 USD
> 2 Keihin 99101-393 Main Jet Size: 142
> $13.90 USD
> 2 n424-22 Pilot/Slow Jet sizes: 42
> $13.90 USD
> Amount $34.75 USD
that should do you up on jets and shims

1 - 20 of 30 Posts