Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a charging issue.Voltage reading at 3000 RPM 12.5 at the battery (fully charged). I checked the stator output at 3k RPM and got approximately 60VAC on all 3 legs (slightly less on one leg). I checked the resistance to case and got 6-7 ohms on all 3 legs. So it appears my stator is shorted to the case but would it still put out that much voltage if it were indeed shorted and have equal resistance/voltage on all 3 legs?
BTW I was using the excellent sticky at the beginning of this section. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last summer I bought a 1990 750 and experienced charging problems which I was eventually able to remedy, with the help of this forum and a new R/R and TPE stator! Due to my lack of understanding, it seemed at first that the stator was OK. Each leg of the stator output showed about 60 VAC so I am not surprised you too are getting a similar reading even though the stator is likely bad.

Have you removed the outer stator cover plate (three screws on the left side of the bike)? When you do, you will be able to see a portion of the stator windings. That visual inspection alone may convince you that the stator is indeed fried. I know when I ordered my TPE stator, I emailed a photo of the old stator's visible windings to TPE, and he replied, quite correctly, that the stator was toast just by looking at the picture.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll pull that cover tomorrow after work.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Yea that sounds like a damaged stator. Mine was grounding out, but still putting out 60VAC.

www.tpe-usa.com Tim Parrot will take care of you. He can probably supply you with a replacement MOSFET R/R is you want to invest in that upgrade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks , I just sent an email to Tim to get the particulars. I really think the heat out here is really hard on everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts