Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did we ever decide how much extra juice (i.e., amps/watts) our bike's charging system has?

I recall seeing an earlier thread where Hizzo seemed to think it was about 70 watts.

Can anyone else vouch for this? Or is his figure a little bit on the aggressive side?

:confused:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I thought I remembered Bulldog posting something about what kind of power we have to use, but couldn't find it.
I too thought it was somewhere around 70-75 watts, but I'm not sure if that was extra juice, or total?

·
Registered
387 Posts
With all the lights on, 70-75 watts couldn't be total output. Add the wattage from all the bulbs with high beams and brake lights on (standard setup. No LED's) and that is (most of) the draw on the system. I was doing some searching and the numbers I keep coming up with is 225-250 watts output total.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will answer my own question.....

OK, for everyone's benefit, I finally took the time to do a real search, and found the following inside the "Vulcan Verses."

Apparently, Electrex is making an upgraded stator (called "Deltaforce") for significantly more juice (but this new amount requires the beefier r/r):

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1107&highlight=watts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Was looking up something else and found rthis in the archives - not sure who posted it though. Does this help ?

When the idea of fusing the stator first came up on the main VROC news group, I dug into the manual and found that the specs of the charging system state that the stock stator & regulator/rectifier can generate 24 Amps at 8,000 RPM's. Well, since very few of us would be willing to run our VN750 at that RPM for very long, I suggested we go with 20 Amp fuses because the stator and wire are supposed to handle 24 Amps. This should protect your stator and wire harness from over-current, but it will not protect your stator if the motor gets too hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts