Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 vn750 with 11,000 miles. The battery has been load tested and passes. The problem started when i noticed my headlight was out. I was on my way home and the bike just quit at a red light. I got a jump the bike started, i took off and a mile down the road the bike quit again. This time i let the bike sit for a while, unplugged the headlight jumped it again, and rode it for about 15 miles, no problem. I replaced the headlamp, trickle charged the battery and rode it for about 70 miles before it started doing the same thing. I trickle charged it again, went to start it and got nothing, just the typical dead battery rattle. Got any ideas?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I have a 2002 vn750 with 11,000 miles. The battery has been load tested and passes. The problem started when i noticed my headlight was out. I was on my way home and the bike just quit at a red light. I got a jump the bike started, i took off and a mile down the road the bike quit again. This time i let the bike sit for a while, unplugged the headlight jumped it again, and rode it for about 15 miles, no problem. I replaced the headlamp, trickle charged the battery and rode it for about 70 miles before it started doing the same thing. I trickle charged it again, went to start it and got nothing, just the typical dead battery rattle. Got any ideas?
Your R/R or stator has crapped out, the Clymer manual will tell you how to test the Regulator. Use the link below to test the Stator.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11083

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, the stator tested good, but the voltage r/r tested bad, no resistive values anywhere. This will be voltage r/r number three in 11,000 miles. Is this just my bike or is this common for this model?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I had a 2002 that I put 18000 miles on before selling it to my son who rides it now. Knock on wood, it's never needed either a stator or R/R. I did relocate my R/R not long after I bought the bike though, around 10K miles. Is yours still under the battery box?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
When I started having trouble with the r/r, the volts went up to about 17 volts and my head light burnt out. After that before replaceing r/r the volts were higher then normal, but it no longer burnt my lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the r/r drove it around and had the same problem. Rechecked my Clymers and misread the continuity from ground to the 3 stator leads, i did have continuity. i take it my stator is bad??

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Yup, the stator is shot.

BTW, welcome to the group. Where are you from?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts