Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I installed a new TPE stator on my buddy's bike a few weeks back and it kept dying on him almost right away. When we got done he was in a hurry to leave and I didn't check the battery for proper voltage.
I have it back again and pulled the connectors from the stator and tested them. At 3,000rpm I'm getting 70vac from all combinations so that looks really good to me. I had gotten a new R/R from TPE at the same time and installed that at the same time as the stator. I'm getting nothing at the battery, it stays around 12.5v no matter how much I rev the engine. I'm thinking the new R/R is bad, anything else I should be looking at? I checked the ground to the engine block and that looks good, and I also installed the new plug for the stator.
I left a message with TPE today and I'm waiting for his reply.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have you measured the D.C. output straight from the reg/rec? Also, maybe check the A.C. from the three phases where they go into the reg/rec. I'm always wary of connectors/connections.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
The regulator does exactly that. Yeah, see what it's putting out.
Disconnect the battery & check the leads coming off the r&r.
It wouldn't be the first time a faulty one has been sold new.
Why not just go MOSFET!?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
i would start with stupid stuff, checck the battery connections, the battery box to engine ground, and the battery to frame ground for starters. then I would check the bullet connector at the frame ground (that is where the R/R grounds out at) as well as the bullet connector for the white wire coming out of the battery cable to to the starter solenoid.

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would start with stupid stuff, checck the battery connections, the battery box to engine ground, and the battery to frame ground for starters. then I would check the bullet connector at the frame ground (that is where the R/R grounds out at) as well as the bullet connector for the white wire coming out of the battery cable to to the starter solenoid.
I was hoping it would be just a loose wire somewhere, I'll check for any other connectors tonight if it's not raining. I'm not sure what bullet connecters you're talking about so I'll have to dig into that. The engine ground to the battery box is the only one I checked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
grounds same place on the frame your neg battery cable grounds, its the connector about 2 inches from the end black with yellow stripe

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other bullet connector it's on the starter solenoid to battery cable. Right above that you have a frame to engine ground quick could also be causing issues

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Checked the bullet connectors and frame to ground. No Changes. I keep thinking this is something simple. I'm going to try & pull the r/r back out and test it from the chart and see where I'm at. I'm clueless at this point.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
When I first got my bike I had a similar problem, battery wouldn't charge. All of the appliances were worrying within spec, all of the connections were tight. Turns out, I had a bad connection on the battery ground to frame. The paint was interfering. Fixed it and all of the other frame grounds with my dremel tool and a spot of DG. Its worked fine since.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
Needs ac voltage on the three yellow wires, a good ground on the bl/y brown needs power when key turned on, battery volts, and white needs battery power always, check the white wire for dc voltage while running engine about 3000 rpm. should see about 13.5 or so.

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Needs ac voltage on the three yellow wires, a good ground on the bl/y brown needs power when key turned on, battery volts, and white needs battery power always, check the white wire for dc voltage while running engine about 3000 rpm. should see about 13.5 or so.
I'll look again tonight, I got good a/c voltage from all 3 yellow wires 70vac. I think the brown wire is in the middle of the white & bl/y and I get battery voltage from the white & bl/y.
What/how am I measuring the brown wire for?

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, if that checks out I'm about ready to just pull the R/R out of my 2002 and try it. If it wasn't such a pain in the A$$ I would've done it already. That'll clear things up as far as the brand new r/r being bad or not.

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after double and triple checking things, I decided to pull out the R/R on my 2002 and toss that in and guess what........She's making awesome power with my R/R. So I just so happened to get the only bad R/R that TPE sold. I guess I'll toss him a quick email and see about getting another one.
FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts