Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not in a particular rush as I won't be doing this until next winter. At that time I'll be swapping out tires, doing the spline lube again, and I also want to drain and replace the final gear oil for the first time.

I haven't gotten around to see if there's anything in here about doing that part.

Any recommendations on a specific fluid to use for that? I'd like to pick some up and have it on-hand.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Any 80w90 gear oil will work fine. I use Honda shaft drive oil. It's a 15 minute job if you take your time. I'd go ahead and do it, especially if you haven't done it before and don't know if or when it was ever done. I do my splines every 10,000 miles I just put a new Bridgestone Excedra G526 on my '97. That was the oem rear tire on my 2002, and they last 20,000 miles. Compared to an M880, which failed (a big chunk of rubber came off the tread) at under 7000 miles. I definitely don't recommend those.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know my final gear/drive gear/whatever you want to call it has never been changed. So the next time the wheel comes off, that'll be added to the rest of the jobs at hand.

The tires I am running now are Shinko 230 TourMasters and I'm happy with them. Good traction and they seem to be holding up well. At the time I bought them I distinctly remember reading somewhere that I could only expect around 7K miles from them. That didn't bother me because at that time I didn't put nearly as many miles per season as I have been the past two years. Anyway, now, when I try to find that reference as to the expected 7K mileage limit, I cannot find it mentioned anywhere.

I've got 6K miles on them now but they seem to have a ton of tread left. I think its safe to easily run through this coming up summer's worth of riding. Unless something happens to change my mind otherwise, I plan to swap them out next off season as they'll be well over that supposed 7K expectancy.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I would at least check the level, and fill it up if it is not full. Those final drives are no longer available. Fortunately I have good spares for almost everything.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
no need to remove the wheel to replace the gear oil, its an easy drain and refill while bike is still fully assembled. drain plug on bottom of pumpkin, fill plug about halfway up. fill it until even with bottom of fill plug hole.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I was just going to link the two things together but said what the hell today and did it anyway. The stuff coming out looked brand new. Easy peasy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts